584,800 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

fixture offset Z values

Hello,

I am wondering why this seems backwards to me. Here is my issue. I touch all of my tools off of the top of the hard jaw and want to shift my work coordinate Z to the top of my part instead of the jaws. Currently I need to adjust the Z-1.25 to go UP to the top of my part, not Z+1.25. If I put +1.25 in the Z offset I will have a crash situation. Why is this backwards? The machine I am working on is a mid 90"s DC servo machine.

Thanks

Re: fixture offset Z values

Work Shift, Shifting the WORK DOWN in the Negative direction, NOT the Tools

That is correct! But not in this case or on this machine. I am shifting down to make it go up... That is backwards.

Does your G52 read a negative or positive Z number for your offset? I have the wips probe so I know my tool values are way different, but my Z in G54... Is always a negative. Typing "-0.003" into G54 offset screen will cut 0.003 DEEPER into the part.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Sample of the code please. I'm lost. G43 as apposed to G44? Using the common is dangerous. I really don't understand.

On a 1994 machine, the settings may be more basic than what I'm used to, so I can't point you to a specific number. Page through the settings pages and look at each one. There are a couple in there that handle how it deals with offset values and entered numbers. I'd bet one of those was changed by somebody.
    Greg

Second Donkey. It depends on the vintage of the machine, but *most* of them can be changed to follow the cartesian convention. Only the super mega old VFs cannot be set correctly and must be "opposite" of what you want. If you end up with one of those machines, it's basically backwards of the common cartesian system (think of the table moving instead of the tool moving...for work offsets only).

Check parameter number 57, there's a bit called "negative work offset" which you want to be "1".

Hey Guys... I just looked at the fixture offsets and realized with Ydna's post that my fixture offset values are all positive in my 94 machine. I looked at my 96 machine and all of the fixture offsets are negative. I am surprised I never noticed this. My 96 machine has the negative work offset parameter set to 1 and the 94 is set to 0. I will be changing this once I complete the current job in the machine.

High 5 Ydna!! Thanks for your your response.

JNZ,
    When you make that change, watch your old programs on that machine. You may have to reverse the sign on all the Z positions!
    Regards, Ray