584,879 active members*
5,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Grooving toolpath strategy advice

Grooving toolpath strategy advice

Hi guys…
    Need some….eye opener !
    Have been ask to rout a little production of wood board.
    Attachment 268610

From this photo, you can see there’s a few slots per panel. I’ll have to rout over 50 different panel sizes, so I’m looking for a simple way…..but the CAD drawings has no “ center line” in the middle of each grooves !!
    Can’t use the simple contour by selecting “single” chaining !! ( that would be my 1st…simple approach, but, no can do ! )

These grooves are 0.750” width x 0.375 depth.
    I’m not quite certain how to approach this aside I’m hoping to have a final slow pass with a matching 0.75” core bit ( ballnose) to a smooth no sanding finish.

Any recommendation as for the toolpath strategy ?!
    thks, Robert

Re: Grooving toolpath strategy advice

Does you part have geometries created?, if yes then you should be able to create line by selecting the middle of the radius and draw a line to the opposite side of the part, you will have to create as many lines as the number of grooves you have on the part.

If you have no geometries on the part, then in the create menu, select create line, on all edges, select the solid and click OK.

If this does not work, send me the solid and I will do something for you.

Jeff

By the way, played golf a couple of time at Royal Bromont golf club.

Thanks Jeff....
    But part of my question / help here....I do NOT wish to draw (create ) and spend time then I have to on the original drawings !
    If this was a single size panel, then yes, I would not bother further more and simply draw this one panel....but I have over 50 different size panel to do soon....and after, some more to come, SO I must find a ...better way !
    Hopping to find - get advice on another toolpath strategy the simple slot or contour....that may not require a center line ??

BTW....Back in my younger days (50 this yr ) ....i use to play/compete radio control 1/24 scale race cars in St-Rock...that was before the Kart racing

You can or cannot select either of the two edges on each groove?

If not, then "create --> curve --> curve on all edges" that should be fast enough even for 50, then select the same edge on all slots, offset the tool into the middle of the slot, then set your linking parameters depth to the .375.
    www.machinisttalk.com

There are better / quicker ways....only if pitched the same

program 1 grove completely...by creating line geometry from centre of arc to the other arc centre
    - extend that line (both ends ) by 55% of your tool diameter
    - use 2D_Contour, comp OFF, Lead in/out OFF, Ramp method by plunge ( set the stepdown ), you can get it to zigzag to rough depth (plunge at either end), create a 2nd op to do a single finish pass
    - then use Transform, so the original ops are ghosted ( no posting),
    - enable the subroutines so the program can be simply modified in the control.

You could work out how to easily customise this program to vary the widths, pitch, & the number of slots...probably by variables set at the start of program

Humm...that i like...superman !

"You could work out how to easily customise this program to vary the widths, pitch, & the number of slots...probably by variables set at the start of program "
    ...it be easier if I had...say SolidWorks combine W/MCX as I could use parametric in SolidWorks while it remains linked to MCX !
    But....as nothing is "perfect", I'm with Inventor, import well in MCX but looses link ;(
    Thanks