584,826 active members*
5,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 16i and Toyoda

Hey guys, been lurking here for awhile but his is my first post so bear with me. I'm working on a Toyoda FA630 with a Fanuc 16i-MA control. This control got a coolant bath a little while ago and we've been having some issues. When you turn the NC on, a message appears that says "turn the NC off, push "M" and "0", and power up, some functionality will be lost".
    Doing this on this machine basically disables the .usr file which is the C-language file. We lose the ability to do a few things, not least of which is "control on" the machine. The ladder/diagnostics/parameter screen is missing the I/O, EDIT, RUN/STOP buttons. The mode control buttons(mdi, memory, edit etc.) also lose their ability to latch when you push the button.
    Their is also a "settings" screen which normally allows you to turn on "Programmer Enable"(not PWE), and initialize the PC/MDI screens, but the control won't allow me to turn these on, when I try, it just scrolls down to the next selection.
    The number for the control is A20B-0236-B628, and neither Fanuc nor Toyoda seem to be able to help, since both say that the initial meesage is not theirs (it appears in red Japanese, with a rough english translation below it). If any of this sounds familiar to you guys, any help would be appreciated. Oh and by the way, I have replaced the motherboard, F-Rom chip and CPU card, and I have done a clean System Data and S-Ram install from a brother machine to this one. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RAC View Post
    When you turn the NC on, a message appears that says "turn the NC off, push "M" and "0", and power up, some functionality will be lost".. . . . .

The number for the control is A20B-0236-B628, and neither Fanuc nor Toyoda seem to be able to help, since both say that the initial meesage is not theirs (it appears in red Japanese, with a rough english translation below it). . . . . .

Oh and by the way, . . . . I have done a clean System Data and S-Ram install from a brother machine to this one. Thanks a lot.
    Did you install the data from the Brother before or after the coolant bath? Perhaps this explains why Toyoda & Fanuc do not recognize the error message?
    Paul Sevin - Ovation Engineering, Inc.
    http://www.ovationengineering.com

Don't you love how Fanuc makes a controler and sells it to the OEM and neither understand a message that one of them surely had something to do with the creation/genration of????

BTW, the message may have been created by an firm that Toyoda and/or Fanuc farmed the programming work out to when the machine was created/built. The message is/was essentially and will remain undocumented by the programmer. We ran across a lot of this sort of crap when I worked for a noted Japanese OEM.

They consider this to be "know how" and they don't always document the stuff to protect their "know how" aka trade secrets. Why? Because people don't fix their own stuff in Japan nor is there an aftermarket service system - they call in the OEM factory guys to service EVERYTHING. When they run into something like this, they simply replace the whole controller as nobody can fix it.

Besides, by the time the thing needs major service, they have developed a new, more modern one and the old one is obsolete anyway. And they think we are a throw away society....

Quote Originally Posted by psevin View Post
    Did you install the data from the Brother before or after the coolant bath? Perhaps this explains why Toyoda & Fanuc do not recognize the error message?
    The data reload was done after the coolant bath, to try and fix the problem. Upon a little further investigation, it does appear to be a C-language issue, but neither Fanuc nor Toyoda seem to have an answer. Thanks for the reples, I'll post as soon as I get it figured out.