585,894 active members*
4,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tormach News

Page 18 of 18 8161718

Re: Tormach News

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Yeah you pay $10K for rigid tapping to save $100 in tools. I bought the Tormach because it was affordable without servos or rigid tapping. Now you want these features at a Haas price. Might as well buy the Hass.
    Adding an encoder to the spindle is <$100. Path pilot is already set up for rigid tapping. This has already been demonstrated by a user here on a Tormach (Turbo step).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGr37Dn6YgM

If Series IV has rigid tapping (my bet is it will based upon what Tormach has done with the SPL15), than they will probably also offer an upgrade kit to upgrade your series IV, as they have in the past.

What is this $10k you are talking about???

Yes if Tormach builds a "Super Tormach" with larger dimensions, serves, linear ways, etc, it will probably be substantially more money. But I doubt it would be called a "1100 PCNC Series IV" either.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Yeah you pay $10K for rigid tapping to save $100 in tools. I bought the Tormach because it was affordable without servos or rigid tapping. Now you want these features at a Haas price. Might as well buy the Hass.
    Don, uh, no offense dude, but get a clue! No need for servos for rigid tapping. With the encoder feeding the angular position to the controller, any thingy on the Z axis can move precisely in lock step with the angular position of the spindle. In fact, because encoders have a lot of resolution, the Z axis does the right thing as the spindle motor is slowing, reversing, and spending back up. Again, I've done plenty of rigid tapping in 'tough' materials on the Tormach Lathe, and you can see what I just described. As the spindle motor reverses, the carriage just follows perfectly. Kinda cool, actually. So, yeah, I think a couple of hundred in parts, assuming you don't need another spindle motor controller, and it should be doable. I would think Tormach is working on an upgrade kit, although that would cannibalize and tapping head business they do.

Quote Originally Posted by adamvs View Post
    I would think Tormach is working on an upgrade kit, although that would cannibalize and tapping head business they do.
    I bet their profit margin on the procunier and tension-compressions tapping heads would be far less than on the conversion kit.
    Tim

you can set up a arduino board to control the motor with a encoder $100 plus code what`s on the web $0 it`s cheap as chips to do it or get a novacon with M3 or convert it to pathpilot $30 the codes in cnczone done by cant rember

it would save more than a $100 you don`t have a $100 tool to break
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, we already know Tormach has done rigid tapping - ergo the lathe with the same controller, so that's easy. Heck, I'd pay Tormach or anybody else for better way covers stand and enclosure (Makini did it at the same price point - in fact their enclosure/stand/panel was better all around). All the stuff I mentioned is very doable... just wish they would. A Haas is a bit too much a step for me (this is just a toy for me), but if I find a used mini mill at a workable price before I buy another 1100 next year, I will... Rather get Tormach though as I plan to get their lathe too soon.

My bet is that Tormach will start bundling the controller with the mill, just like they do with their lathe. Makes their after-sales support easier.
    Tim

they will have everything in the same box it`s a no brainer one computer for any of there machines (they won't do a AD and have 5 different platforms for there program`s) as what`s been hinted at it`s all there just not finished yet rigid tapping, scanner what ever else is missing.

by looking at the box in the vid it`s not all that high, so a high speed aluminum router or some kind of 3D printer
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    by looking at the box in the vid it`s not all that high, so a high speed aluminum router or some kind of 3D printer
    The cat is already out of the bag. It is just a bench top cnc mill (a router wouldn't cut titanium or steel):

Quote Originally Posted by TORMACH
    What materials can the PCNC 440 cut? It can cut aluminum, steel, titanium, as well as plastics, composites, wood, and PCB boards. Anything our other mills can cut.
    Tim

Key words. "Our other mills" meaning this is also a mill.
    Lee

Tormach 440 cutting hard metal ??

Does anyone got 440 yet ?
    Show me cutting/pocketing stainless steel or titanium please ....

I need proof before I get 440.

And the accuracy of course

I don't see any video 440 cutting stainless steel or ti.

Re: Tormach 440 cutting hard metal ??

In the meantime, here's a video of a Nomad 883 cutting titanium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okx5smW4rRo

Randy (disclaimer: have PCNC 1100 and Nomad 883 but not PCNC 440, above not my video)

Page 18 of 18 8161718