585,737 active members*
4,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DC860A Dip switch settings

Sorry the title should say DQ860A

Let me start by saying I am new to this DIY cnc, I have run and programmed cnc's for the last 20 years so I am not totally green on the subject but I am little lost when I comes to the electronics.

I purchased this kit from Ebay, US Free Wantai 4 Axis Nema34 Stepper Motor 99mm 5 6A 1090oz 4LEADS Driver 7 8A | eBay , I have single start 5mm pitch screws and I would like to reach 150-200 IPM rapid speeds. I have contacted the seller and got some support but notenough to get the answers I am looking for. I am a little confused on what SW-1– SW-3 should be set at, I think the 5.7 peak 4.00 RMS is what I want but like I said im not sure. As faras the pulse settings are concerned, well I think I know but not 100% sure. Thesteppers are 200 microstep motors, does that mean I want to use the settingsfor the 200 pulses?Like I said I am newto this and really could use some help. I am almost to the point I can hook themotors to the machine and play a little but I want to make sure everything isset correctly first, I am using Mach3 if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Carlton

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150207_190844.jpg   20150207_182303.jpg  

Re: DC860A Dip switch settings

Carlton,

Using the peak setting is fine.

10 microstepping (2000) would provide very smooth motion and ultra high resolution.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thanks Jeff, so what I have for the peak setting (5.7 amps) is good or should I use the 7.80 Peak and 5.60 RMS. I don't see a 10 or a 2000 microstepping option on the driver, that is why I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Carlton,

Using the peak setting is fine.

10 microstepping (2000) would provide very smooth motion and ultra high resolution.

Jeff...

Carlton,

See attached image for settings.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beach.jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thanks again Jeff, where did you find the settings sheet? numbers are different than the one I was given by the ebay seller. One last switch question what should switch 4 be, on or off?

Carlton,

See attached image for settings.

Jeff...

http://www.wantmotor.com/ProductsView.asp?id=271&pid=82

Switch 4 is the idle current reduction enable / disable.

The motors will run cooler and conserve power when in current reduction mode.

Some machines are not reliable in current reduction mode due to loss of motor holding torque.

Jeff...

Thanks Jeff, I set the switches to what you showed and they seem to turn quietly and smooth. When calibrating the machine, I will need to move 1" and see if it moves one inch, if not then I will need to adjust the steps in Mach correct.

http://www.wantmotor.com/ProductsView.asp?id=271&pid=82

Switch 4 is the idle current reduction enable / disable.

The motors will run cooler and conserve power when in current reduction mode.

Some machines are not reliable in current reduction mode due to loss of motor holding torque.

Jeff...

Carlton,

To configure Mach3 for Metric set the steps per to 400

To configure Mach3 for Imperial set the steps per to 10160

Jeff...

Jeff, where did you find the 'calculator' for calculating steps per mm or inch?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmagnuson View Post
    Jeff, where did you find the 'calculator' for calculating steps per mm or inch?

Bob,

Credit goes to someone on the Mach3 Forum, the Excel file was posted there about five years ago.

See attached XLS,

Jeff...

Thanks, saved for future use!

Thank you very much Jeff, you have been more than helpful.

Carlton,

To configure Mach3 for Metric set the steps per to 400

To configure Mach3 for Imperial set the steps per to 10160

Jeff...