585,933 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ubuntu bdi Axis

ive installed ubuntu bdi on my system and i'm wondering if anyone knows if Axis is only a sim and needs to be installed separately or if it is actually supposed to work , i see nothing in the folder for setting up the pinouts ,
    i finally have emc2 working well , but i'd like to try Axis , its a nice looking piece of software
    has anyone had it working with only the bdi install ? or do i have to wrap my head around installing it separately

thanks
    curt

Activating axis

Curt,

My understanding is that Axis is just a front end to EMC2. So all the set up is in EMC2. I used it from the Ubuntu BDI in testing out the steppers on my router. You just have to change the ini file to specify Axis instead of the default tkemc.
    Find the following line in the EMC2 ini file (which ever one you are using).
    # DISPLAY = axis
    # DISPLAY = usrmot
    # DISPLAY = mini
    DISPLAY = tkemc
    Comment out the tkemc line and uncomment the axis line.

Alan

thanks a lot
    i was playing with the ini file as you said and ive got it ,i'll try it out on my system and see how well axis will turn the motors ,
    its a resource hog , if i lower the screen resolution the software works much faster , im surprised i had the impression linux was faster than xp
    even so , a free operating system with this kind of software is a definite plus