585,931 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Extrude Cut: Open and self-intersection chain not allowed...

Extrude Cut: Open and self-intersection chain not allowed...

Am working on a jig and I need to cut a couple pockets where the toolpath needs to extend past the edge of the part, I tried in 2D, but couldn't get it to work as the toolpath would never go past the end of the part so it left parts of the pocket uncut. Switching to 3D, I was able to extrude the outline, but when I try and extrude cut, I get that a message that "open and self-intersection chain is not allowed". The chain looks closed, but how do I make it closed?

Also, is this the best approach, if it's a 3D part, then draw it in 3D.

Re: Extrude Cut: Open and self-intersection chain not allowed...

If a 2D job then stick to 2D strategies IMHO, you need to make the edges where you want the tool to go off the part drawn as dotted lines, then under the 2 axis tab use the "Advanced Pocket" option and select your pocket geometry, the rest is as usual and you should get it looking like the attached image.

Attachment 269222

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    If a 2D job then stick to 2D strategies IMHO, you need to make the edges where you want the tool to go off the part drawn as dotted lines, then under the 2 axis tab use the "Advanced Pocket" option and select your pocket geometry, the rest is as usual and you should get it looking like the attached image.

Attachment 269222

Regards
    Rob
    I changed the outside line to a dotted line and do the advanced pocket but it throws and error computing the toolpath. I attached it.

My thinking as far as 2D vs 3D is that any shape that doesn't have curves in the Z axis can be done in 2D. While 3D is cool, it seems like everything gets more complicated. Is that the common perception?
    Attached Files Attached Files

You appear to have duplicate lines, solid ones on top of dotted ones and vice versa, you need to cut away the solid lines where you want the dotted ones, they can`t exist together. All you actually need to have on screen are the Black lines

See image, the only lines you should be using are the ones in Black, I only have the Demo version of V27 so if you have a licensed version then you can`t open any of my files, you will need someone else to modify your file that has a licensed copy of V27. If you are in Demo mode then I will upload the file for you

Attachment 269264

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post

My thinking as far as 2D vs 3D is that any shape that doesn't have curves in the Z axis can be done in 2D. While 3D is cool, it seems like everything gets more complicated. Is that the common perception?
    Rob is right on the geo,get rid of your doubles and triples.
    As far as 2D vs 3D,,,you use the best one for the job at hand.You should learn them all.
    With that said,if you want a generality,,,2D paths offer more control.You have more ability to have the tool path come out how you want.Of course you cannot do 3D with 2D paths,,but 2D paths can be done either or.
    With that said,,,,,depending on the part at hand 3D Advanced/Adaptive Rough can be awesome for 2D roughing.
    Experience with the software and it will become clear why and which tool path to use when.
    There is now days so much power with BoB,there are usually multiple ways to do anything.

Thanks for all your help, saved me a ton of trial and error. I cleaned up my drawing and now I understand what you are talking about with the dotted lines and how they work. My advise for other's starting out is to create a simple part with just the feature you are trying to create, I think that makes it easier to understand what's going on.

Anyway, here's my part, all nicely cut out (the extra holes are due to me using a piece of scrap from another project).