585,762 active members*
4,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

buying used machine ok?

Hey all, I am looking to buy my first machine. I am looking for just a standard CNC milling station.

The Haas Vf1 would be prefect for the shop I am going to be setting up... Butttttt the 48k price tag is not putting myself in the best scenario financially.
    Haas VF-1 | Haas Automation

My question is about buying a used machine. Like buying a car what do I look for? where are pitfalls for potential disasters in the future?

Haas VF3. 20x40 travel Fully tooled This thing looks disgusting, but maybe it just needs to be cleaned up?
    www.machinisttalk.com

Re: buying used machine ok?

If this is for your business, and you really want a Haas, you should call them up. They usually offer leases on pretty good terms. If you get a used machine, it is like getting a used car - be prepared for a lot of downtime while the thing's laid up for repairs. You can pay the lease on a new one and be making parts as soon as it arrives, instead of having tied up your capital in an old turkey, and having to pay even more to patch the thing up enough to make parts to spec.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: buying used machine ok?

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    If this is for your business, and you really want a Haas, you should call them up. They usually offer leases on pretty good terms. If you get a used machine, it is like getting a used car - be prepared for a lot of downtime while the thing's laid up for repairs. You can pay the lease on a new one and be making parts as soon as it arrives, instead of having tied up your capital in an old turkey, and having to pay even more to patch the thing up enough to make parts to spec.
    Thanks for the input Andrew, I was thinking all of that was probably going to be the case, and I was hoping you weren't going to say it haha. It wouldn't be for a fully detailed out business plan, so I don't know if locking in a extra monthly finance plan is right for me... I should just call Haas and see what they have to offer...
    www.machinisttalk.com