I guess I'll document my build here for the benefit of others.

I just got the machine about a week ago. It's in good condition but requires a lot of cleaning (dried-up grease and gunk). Working on that right now.

Attachment 269350

Attachment 269352

Attachment 269354

Attachment 269356

Attachment 269358

Attachment 269360

Attachment 269362

I am thinking of ordering this setup for the motors:

4Axis NEMA 34 Stepper Motor 1600oz Driver CNC Router Mill Longs Stepper Motor | eBay

I don't need a 4th axis. The 3 axis kit is $450 so I figured it is well worth another $50 to get the fourth axis motor, driver and power supply. The only detractor is that shipping costs $125. Not sure how this might compare to other offers with free shipping from China and the potential to have to pay Customs fees. I'd appreciate feedback on this.

I have three Oriental Motor Super Vexta stepping motor drivers I am going to be selling on eBay. They are great but they are not powerful enough for the size of motor I want to put on this machine. I should be able to break even between selling the motor drivers and buying the kit I need for the mill.

As far as construction, I am going to convert the mill with the standard screws and convert to ballscrews as a second step later on. I might get brave and do it all in one step. It really depends on what kind of machining I have to do to make parts for the ballscrew version.

I am going to borrow ideas from Flashcut CNC and build my transmissions inside rectangular aluminum tubing. I just got a length of 4 x 2 x 0.25in 6061-T6 for the three transmissions.

Attachment 269364

These brackets should not be all that difficult to make manually. It'd take longer than CNC but I'll use it as an opportunity to teach my oldest son about machining: Counting turns and learning how to deal with backlash by hand, feeling the cut, etc.

Thoughts, ideas, criticism and donations always welcome.

-Martin