585,974 active members*
4,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Anyone successfully running V27 on iMac?

Anyone successfully running V27 on iMac?

I'll begin by saying I am fully aware BobCAD-CAM states the software is not compatible with Mac machines .. I have a Windows machine as well but am trying to see if I can make it work on the iMac because it's my main desktop computer.

If I can work out one little bug, it's all good! If not, I'll have to keep a second computer at my desk just for CAD-CAM use.
    I'll also mention that V25 runs PERFECTLY on the iMac using Parallels-10 & Windows 8.1

V27 also works -EXCEPT- when closing a simulation ..

It does the simulation as expected .. but when closing the simulator & switching back to the drawing screen, the part is gone & the program is frozen.
    The only way I've been able to keep working is to make sure I've saved all changes before going into simulation, then closing the program, re-starting, & re-opening the part to continue working .. not a good option for work flow!

I've played around with the Parallels settings to give Windows as much video memory as possible but no joy.
    Hoping there might be another Dual Platform user who's found the answer to iron this out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gd.marsh

Re: Anyone successfully running V27 on iMac?

I've been running it just fine using a MacBook Pro and VMware Fusion. A little slower than it would be on a workstation and I see some graphics artifacts in simulation, but it works. I have not tried with Parallels.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Looks like I've got it!

Loaded Windows 8.1 directly to a separate partition on the iMac hard drive .. (running windows outside of OS X & without parallels). V27 seems to run great! No hangups, no screen issues, no stutters or lagging ..
    Haven't done any real serious drawing /cam /simulations yet, but have played around with a few simple parts and NO ISSUES!

The Intel based Mac computers are capable of running either OS X or Windows, or BOTH (without any 3rd party software) .. as long as the operating systems are loaded onto separate partitions on the hard drive.
    The hard drive can be partitioned using an App that comes with OS X called 'Boot Camp' or you can create your own partition using the Disk Manager.

If any other Mac users are thinking about going there, I highly recommend you read up & even watch a few videos on Y-Tube so you know exactly what your doing BEFORE STARTING.
    The process can seem a little confusing because there are a few steps that the App itself doesn't walk you all the way through ..
    Now I've just got to call BC so I can re-register the re-installation to the same computer it's already been registered to????

gd.marsh

One more up-date ...

Everything running very smooth & solid now on the iMac .. I did switch keyboard & mouse because for some reason the bluetooth hardware was unstable in the Windows environment.
    I could click on something with the mouse & as I would move away the selection would change .. it was acting like once you clicked on something it didn't want to let go .. All gone now with USB gear.

Also, I found a free app called 'Boot Champ' that makes rebooting back & forth between OS X & Windows a snap .. in either environment 1 click on an icon, hit enter & the machine reboots into the other system. (Windows still takes longer to boot than OS X, but that's always been a Windows issue)
    I just wanted to include this info in case there are any others who are interested in BobCAD-CAM, but are on a Mac. It is a little involved .. If your not the 'computer geek' type this may not be for you. But BC V27 runs fast & stable on intel based Macs with Windows installed on it's own partition.

I also runV27 on Windows 7 with Parallels on my iMac 27.

All seems to run just fine except when closing out the simulation just like the issue your having gd.marsh.

I do the same thing by saving the part before the SIM.

I read the other comments but no one has provided a solution.

Is there something that can FIX this or are we just going to have to live with it?

Thanks all

Scott

The only fix I found was as mentioned in my last post .. partition the drive & load windows as a stand alone operating system outside of Mac OS. In essence it just makes your machine a 'dual boot' machine.
    Bob runs fast, & without any serious glitches. I still save frequently though, because on occasion Bob will just 'shut-down' out of nowhere.

gd.marsh

Thanks gd.marsh.

I had some software issues running the partition and I didnt feel like screwing with it. Maybe i should look back into it.

I also have that problem with Bob quitting for some reason... Im finding that when its calculating a large vector map it sometimes quits.

Oh well keep pluggin along.

Thanks again