584,879 active members*
5,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question 6040 Router Upgrade

Hi, I also have one of the Chinese 6040 routers with ball screws.

When i do Z cuts or drilling in aluminium it seems that my Axis starts to jump when the pressure of the cutter gets to big. The jump seems to come from the Y axis.
    So i have decided to upgrade the Y axis to HiWin Linear guide rails, now the question is if i should go with the HiWin 15 or 20 and use 2 bearing blocks or one bearing block per side
    I am thinking if I go with HiWin 20 then use 1 bearing block, if I go with HiWin 15 use 2 bearing blocks, any comments are welcome.

Also the X axis is not parallel to the surface, I am experience a shift of about 1mm from one end to the other, which i need to address as well.

Please let me know if someone already did a update like this and can share some insights.

The second upgrade I would like to do is upgrading to a smoothstepper ethernet version (allready bought) and then upgrade the steppers to closed loop steppers from leadshine.
    Maybe if possible upgrade the spindle to a ATC (anyone has a different solution for changing tools quick).

I have about a total of $1200 to upgrade the machine.
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver

Re: 6040 Router Upgrade

I'm currently in the same boat.
    I've upgraded the shortest axis. 400mm one with hgr20mm rail on the back side and left the unsupported 20mm rail in place on the front.
    creating a sort of boxed setup. i also machined up a backplate out of 15mm 6061 ally plate to help with overall rigidity.
    This will keep me happy until i can machine a new z axis setup and remount everything on the front.
    I'm currently ordering a new hgr20mm rail for the longest axis to firm everything up even more.

Would be better to engineer something from scratch to do the job properly the first time, but you have to work with what you have and incremental upgrades are possibly the best solution for many of us running these hobby machines on tighter budgets.

I bought the machine as a frame only and then attached my own motors and electronics. had the g540 sitting there ready to go.

Cheers
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by asterix85 View Post
    I'm currently in the same boat.
    I've upgraded the shortest axis. 400mm one with hgr20mm rail on the back side and left the unsupported 20mm rail in place on the front.
    creating a sort of boxed setup. i also machined up a backplate out of 15mm 6061 ally plate to help with overall rigidity.
    This will keep me happy until i can machine a new z axis setup and remount everything on the front.
    I'm currently ordering a new hgr20mm rail for the longest axis to firm everything up even more.

Would be better to engineer something from scratch to do the job properly the first time, but you have to work with what you have and incremental upgrades are possibly the best solution for many of us running these hobby machines on tighter budgets.

I bought the machine as a frame only and then attached my own motors and electronics. had the g540 sitting there ready to go.

Cheers
    Alex
    question would you mind sharing the mods, I send you a private message with my email, maybe we can work together.
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by hive8 View Post
    question would you mind sharing the mods, I send you a private message with my email, maybe we can work together.
    Sure thing mate.
    I'm away at work for another week or so. Won't be near the machine till then. I'll take some photos and how you what I've done.

The 1mm height difference you are experiencing, is that from the stock table? I myself had the same problem and the easiest way to eliminate this problem is to take a plywood plate and fix it to the stock table and the planar the surface with the CNC. Then you get a smooth surface were you can drill your workpiece directly on to the plate. When there are to many holes and the surface gets rough i just throw it away and repeat the process. I mostly to aluminum with mine.

I started to complete fix and upgrade the router to make it more usable, I have all the HiWin 20mm linear rails and blocks, will be putting the modes in CAD and share here. Also astrix85 is working on mods too, if he doesnt mind I can also put his in CAD and share them, i think the basics is there, all needed to do is update the mechanics a bit and it will be much better.

Also I will be upgrading the stepper and stepper driver system, will post these mods too.

I know this is a very old thread but I'd love to see what you guys came up with. I'd like to do the same mods on mine. Thanks!

Me too!

Hi everyone, First post here! I have the 6040 machine as well and have dedicated a website to my upgrades. I hope to learn from you guys about what problems you can corrected with your machine. I will be watching this place very close...

Don't want to spam this area, but I have information about upgrades on my website. I do not sell anything on the site, just share my information. my6040cnc.com

Vince, thanks for the links. Do you have upgrade parts for change to hwin rails?

Hello,
    For anyone (still) interested, I did a simple upgrade of X axis with HGR15. Omio X6-1500 in my case, but all these machines are quite similar. CAD available here https://grabcad.com/library/6040-cnc-upgrade-1