584,796 active members*
4,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > FlashCut CNC > Adding a spindle to 501A signal gen. What's needed/ How to?

Adding a spindle to 501A signal gen. What's needed/ How to?

I'm adding a spindle to my cnc plasma that's running via a Flashcut 501A signal generator, Do I need additional hardware such as the I/O expansion board or ?

Thanks for helping.

Re: Adding a spindle to 501A signal gen. What's needed/ How to?

modelaratrod

Can you describe what you want to do in more detail? I think that what you want to do can be very simple with flashcut. The stock box has 8 digital ouputs, they are TTL level and will require an interface to drive relays but that is available on the web. You can get the connector parts from Mouser and other places, I cut apart and old ATX power supply connector to use for mine.

John

I want to be able to via g code turn the spindle off & on and set the rpm. I have the relay setup and connectors, just not sure if I need a breakout board or if I can go right to the VFD?
    Here's the link to the VFD 2.2KW (3HP) VFD Spindle Inverter (KL-VFD22) 220VAC input | Automation Technology Inc

modelaratrod

To control the spindle speed from the program you will need to get an expansion board for your 501a from either Flashcut or Torchmate depending who sold the box originally. If you just want to turn the spindle on and off and manually adjust the spindle speed then all you need is the relay interface. I believe that if you have more relays available you can do a number of fix speeds. I will need to play with my system to figure this out, it may require a custom post. I can walk you through this if post the what you have for a relay interface. What version of Flashcut or Torchmate sw are you using for machine control are you using?

John

Thanks John for going on another adventure with me.

I have both the flashcut/TM relay and I also have the continental relay setup the 501a manual shows. I may get the expansion board as I'm running out of I/O's.

For motion control I haveTM 3 & 4 and I've been playing around with the FC ver 4.5 demo.

modelaratrod

How is your spindle control going? Are you able to use your 501A with Flashcut 4.0 and 4.5 without changing the firmware? Torchmate told me it will ruin my 501A if I try and run the release 4 software.

John

I haven't tried the Flashcut to run the controller yet so maybe now I won't.
    I have the 220 vac ran to the inverter and the spindle cooling setup, I've run the spindle and it's super smooth @ 11k rpm but don't have the mount to mount the spindle to the z axis, I started making one on my mill and it blew a fuse and replacements haven't shown up yet.
    Torchmate said to just turn the spindle on and start the program, I'd feel better with being able to use the e-stops and feed hold.

Here's some mechanical progress pics. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3270001.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	274306 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3270002.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	274308

modelaratrod

Looking good. Is that a Velox Z axis your using? I like the approach of using a separate drive for the spindle.

John

Yes it's a Velox Z as recommended by another TM user. It's the 8" and I made an 9" drop plate for it so I can reach the tube cutter.

I've been controlling the spindle manually via the vfd control panel, I just upgraded the THC to the flashcut so now I have the mini IO board.
    I can get 0-10v out of the mini IO for the spindle speed but can't get the spindle to turn on?
    I have an email into flashcut, anyone else running a VFD with Flashcut?

Quote Originally Posted by modelaratrod View Post
    I've been controlling the spindle manually via the vfd control panel, I just upgraded the THC to the flashcut so now I have the mini IO board.
    I can get 0-10v out of the mini IO for the spindle speed but can't get the spindle to turn on?
    I have an email into flashcut, anyone else running a VFD with Flashcut?
    You still need to provide the VFD with a signal for ON or RUN besides just the 0-10v. In other words, "0" (voltage) does not mean OFF.

Are you doing such ?
    Chris L

I have it all working, it needed a forward on that I wired through the relay.

I also added a braking resistor and it stops the spindle way faster.