585,973 active members*
3,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > stepper motors won't turn (setup worked in the past)

stepper motors won't turn (setup worked in the past)

Hi everybody.

I have a problems with all motors from a plasma cnc table. In the old workshop plasma cnc table and motors were turning without any problems. After being disassembled and reassembled in another workshop we have encountered a every strange problem. Steppers won;t turn when jogging from mach3 software.

We have change the cable and for the new setup he have used cat6 double shielded cable. We are using 2 breakout board: one for motor control, enable command, X,Y,Z limit switch and one for controlling the ARC on, and thc control. Both breakout board seems to be working. I can enable disable steppers, limit switch are working (input ports form the first breakout board) and I see when i manually switch the limit switches. Sending enable comand is done using output pin 14 for the first BB, Z motor connected to 4,5 pins, X motor to 67 pins, and Y to 8 and 9 pins.

Motors are locking when I apply power to them, I can get them to unlock when I go Estop, But when I jog i can se the X,Y,Z value modifying in the mach GUI, but the motors are still. I have replace : a) breakout board, stepper driver, lpt cable, motor, change the lpt port. We have used a software that monitors the lpt output and it seams that for mach3 outputs correctly to the lpt port.

I really do not know how to proceed next and what to check. It could be the cable I have used but then I have test it using a motor connected directly to the driver and we have the same result. and strange is that all motors X, Y and Z haves the same issue.

If anybody has any idea how to debug this it would be great.

Re: stepper motors won't turn (setup worked in the past)

Which driver do you have?
    Is the Enable pin properly asserted?
    Do you have a photo of your setup?