584,814 active members*
5,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > G-CODE TO RUN ON CYLINDICAL PARTS

Unhappy G-CODE TO RUN ON CYLINDICAL PARTS

Ok I just got a 4 axis desktop CNC engraver. I intend on engraving names and BMP files on cylinders that are approx .750 in diameter. I found a program called F-engrave that is really easy to convert a BMP or DXF to G-Code. It works flawlessly on a flat part. What I have done was to edit the program and replaced all "X" values with "A" in my machine program (Mach 3) I set the "A" axis to linear. (Do I still have you or have I lost anyone yet) I am a novice at CNC but a toolmaker for 35 years. ( I Know enough to be dangerous ;-) ) anyway when I do this about 20 % of the programs work. The other 80% while the machine starts to engrave the machine gets a mind of its own and starts doing a couple circles using the X & Y. Remember that I removed all "X" commands and changed to "A" Why does the x move at all and does anyone have any answers for me. This is very frustrating so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Rob

Re: G-CODE TO RUN ON CYLINDICAL PARTS

I don't know f-engrave but what i understand is your raster to vectoring. Backplot before running anything, confirm the code. Tight'n up the post processor, maybe run it by another simple cam program, see whats about to happen.

hope this helps

Re: G-CODE TO RUN ON CYLINDICAL PARTS

I am guessing that you have some G2 and or G3 (arc) commands in the F-Engrave output. If this is the case changing the "X" values to "A" would likely produce unexpected results (including X movements). You can disable the G2/G3 output in F-Engrave by un-selecting "Enable Arc Fitting" in the F-Engrave "Settings" window.

There are programs available to automatically do the conversion that you are attempting to do. One of them is written by the same guy that wrote F-Engrave (that is me by the way) it is called G-Code Ripper
    G-Code Ripper

(For future reference you might consider posting questions of this nature under another topic. This has nothing to do with "General Business Practices / Pricing" For further help on this issue try the open source section of CNCZone There are threads for both F-Engrave and G-Code Ripper)
    Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com