585,781 active members*
4,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MC 5000 Spindle out of allignment

a few days ago we had a federate issue that resulted in the router crashing/faulting out mid cut along the y axis (tried to slew threw a part). After that the spindle seems slightly out of alignment. To test this I milled the table along the X axis with a 2.5" fly cutter and got a step from one side of the cut to the other of about 0.06". No step when milling along the Y axis. We tried loosening the mounting plate behind the spindle to adjust from there and saw a slight improvement (down to a 0.045" step) but there really wasn't any thing to adjust.

Long question short: is there any way to adjust the pitch of the spindle so it is straight up and down again?

Re: MC 5000 Spindle out of allignment

Hi
    I had the same problem on our 5000 series. Other than the slack that is in the mounting screws there is no adjustment other than shimming the plate. Ours is a high gantry so any runout is exaggerated . It`s a shame that there isn`t an eccentric cam adjuster to true things up but I`ve learned to live with it. 0.045 doesn`t seem too excessive though. You could try replacing the mounting screws but it may be that the impact of the crash has bent the backplate albeit a tiny amount which is just enough to throw things out.. I always have to have another pair of hands when tightening things up . I stand on the table with my knee on the spindle and a firm grasp on the top of the spindle and pull like mad while someone tightens the screws . It`s the best I can offer I`m afraid.

Your crash was sever enough that move both the mounting AND the spindle itself, take the 6 screws off that hold the mounting plate, now you have access to the screws that hold the spindle onto the plate. Loosen these and when you retighten these screw, do so in a hex pattern, do not tighten all at once. Slowly tighten in the hex pattern, this will keep the plate from being shifted out of a straight position.

Then go back and do a table mill procedure you were doing.

Hi did you resolve your allignment issues ?