585,992 active members*
5,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

machine using tons of lube!

I have a mori sieki mv 45 with a showa lube system. The darn thing goes through 5 gallons of way oil in a week or two. Does anyone know how to make adjustments to the timer or if there is a parameter is the yasnac mx1 control that controls this?
    :drowning: :drowning:
    Any help is greatly appreciated because I can't afford any more way oil!!!!!!
    :drowning: :drowning:

I would be less concerned about adjusting the pump cycle, more concerned that a line is broken/loose,a nozzel has gone south,or a combination.
    Take a few moments:
    1) Was this a sudden problem ? (most likley a loose or broken line )

2) Can you see any excess lube in any area? ( yes, broken line or puked nossel, or possibly a leaking check valve..)

3) Had the same problem, disconnected the primary lube line from the pump, made an adaptor, used low pressure air and started listening , used a cheapo stethescope ( bought at a local auto supply) and just used the tube, not the steel probe..did not take long, steel line under the X Table was cracked at a curve, I had to remove the table , a real PITA, but replaced the tube, checked all the connections ( one was real loose) and cleaned everything underneath, needed it. Reassembled , the machine is still working.

Adobe (old as dirt)

Assuming that you don't have a major leaking hemorage of oil, you might want to see how the oiler is wired.

Our Fanuc controlled lathes have Showa oilers that come on IMMEDIATELY when you turn on the breaker that feeds power to the main controller.

By rewiring it so that the contactor that pulled up to start the pump only engaged when the computer that ran the machine was operational, we didn't pump way oil on a 24-7 basis.

You can alays not refill the reservoir once it is emptied. That will surely stop consumption but I dunno how long the machine will run afterwards.

At least it cures the symptoms.

there was another post resently ,someone having the same problem ,it was an mv40 or 45 , i can t remember if he tracked down the problem , there should be a parameter to control the on time
    we have an old mv40 at work and it maybe goes thru a gallon /week and its on 24-7
    i tryed to search the site but for some reason im struggling with navigating thru the site today
    if you do a quick search i m sure you will find the post , it was only in the last couple of months

We also have a showa system on our mill. There seems to be a sort of piston there is raising and when it's falling down it is pumping the oil out. On that piston there is a ring you can move to adjust how much the piston is falling down = amount of oil

Bent

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    there should be a parameter to control the on time
    i heard this when i started my apprenticeship, there is a parameter you can change to make your machine use more oil (this means less wear on machine components, but more way oil in your coolant resulting in suffocation of your coolant, thus it goes off) or vice-a-versa less oil (more wear on components but less oil in your coolant)

note: if you have a skimmer for your coolant tank you should not have any problems with way oil suffocating your coolant.
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

Bent, how do you access this piston?

Does anyone know of any parameters on a mori seiki with a yasnac mx1 control?(group)

It is visible from the the outside. The ring sits in a grove. There are 6 groves i think. In the top grove the piston have a long stroke = much oil

Bent

Quote Originally Posted by Bent View Post
    It is visible from the the outside. The ring sits in a grove. There are 6 groves i think. In the top grove the piston have a long stroke = much oil

Bent
    Be careful changing those types of lube settings. You can starve the machine of oil and cause rust and premature wear.

These types of lubrication systems work as follows:

- The lube pump is always "on". There's a little motor inside that runs constantly. Depending on the pump's interval, every 5 minutes (or some other interval), the plunger strokes a fixed amount of oil and pressurizes the lines that distribute the oil.
    - Throughout the machine, the oil is distributed to locations like the ways, ball screws, ball nuts, etc. At each termination point, there is a little fitting called a meter unit. The meter unit sees the rise in line pressure caused by the plunger and allows a metered amount of oil to be dispensed at that point and then the meter unit closes to keep the line pressurized. This is critical to ensure even distribution of oil to all points of the machine.
    - A break in a line somewhere will prevent the plunger from pressurizing the system and not all points will get oiled properly.
    - Reducing the amount of oil the plunger pumps on each stroke can have the effect of starving certain locations of oil.

The pump should be labeled for time interval and cc/stroke. It may be possible to replace the pump with a longer interval one. But I think the first thing to verify is there isn't a leak somewhere. It would be a good idea to check your ways and ballscrews to see what's actually getting oil.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...2623&PMCTLG=00

Check your manuals and look for "keeper relays" the manual will tell you which one is "on time" and "off time" This is displayed in miliseconds. Increase the off time and do not adjust the on time. Check with Mori and find out what the correct time should be.

Good luck

Assuming the machine shouldn't be using this much oil you either have a borken/leaking line (etc.), someone has screwed around with the factory lube settings, or you're not using oil of the correct viscosity (these are the first three things I could think of off the top of my head). You should really head Adobe's advice above if you have not already done so. Your lube system is a pressure system and the nozzles are selected to calibrate the system with enough back pressure at each lube point to insure that all points get oil. If you are leaking oil most if not all will exit the point of least resistance (the leak) and you will get little or no oil where you are supposed to.

Please let me know how you fixed this problem.

We just came into the same machine, same control, same problem.

How did you fix it ?

I know we bought a new "Wintech" or some such spelling lathe, when the guy came in to set it up and show us how it worked he said the lube units are set wide open from the factory, the intent is to fill the lines and break the machine in, then it is to be set in a lower notch for general use thereafter.

Bill

Wll we solved our problem.

Pretty simple fix actually.

Our pump is controled on a timer inside of the pump.

Once I got the correct settings from Mori I just flipped a couple of switches in side the pump and we were good to go.

The pump was set to cycle for 30 seconds every 8 minutes.

Mori said it should have been set to 30 seconds every 32 minutes !!!

That is a pretty big differance !

And a lot of oil !

Not workin

I called mori seiki and they faxed me a chart for the timer on the showa lube system. our sysem was set for 30 sec on for 52 minutes so I timed the interval and found it was only on for 4 sec and off for 6 min & 3 sec. so I set it to 60 min and timed it again and got 6 min and 56 sec. then I set it to 32 min and timed it at 3 min and 43 seconds. all of them had about a 4 sec on time. I am thinking that the the timer is running 8.625 times faster than it should. If I multiply the any of my observed times by that constant I end up with aprox. the setting that I was sopposed to acheive.

Regardless, we are going thru a ton of lube!!!

ANY IDEAS? (group) (group)

set it for 50 hours?
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

I use to work for a company that have about 8 Mori seiki and they drank 20 gallons of oil five times faster than 12 Haas conbime. I never attempt to adjust oil on any these machines because It will void warranty if some is relate to. I suggest to you is check your maintaince manual and try to find the pressure valve and loose it.
    The best way to learn is trial error.