585,568 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese 80W laser AWC608 - Speed/power questions

Ok guys, I have my DIY 80W CO2 laser going. Had to figure out some crazy Chinese instructions on AWC608 manual . Still cannot figure out the following and would be glad to get some help here.

1. In the Cut option theres a Max and Min power ( i think in some versions its called Corner power ). From what i have seen the Max power is always used ? When does the machine use the Min power ( I set the Min power to 10 and max to 70 cut a square on acrylic and it came out fine ) .

2. My machine setup is 1300x900mm. I have noted that the cutting power reduces with distance. it I can cut 4mm acrylic at 70% power with 22 speed. near the origin. But when i move the orgin to x:1000 then it does not cut fully. I have ZnSe optics and have cleaned them all . Is this usual ? Is there anything in Awc608 that can compensate for power across lengths ? Or should i use the power that works at the farthest point ?

3. Lastly, is the tube life dependant upon the power at which its run ? or are the hours irrespective of the power. just curious as to when i am gonna put in my money into this again !

I guess ill have more soon, but for now have just the above
    Thanks !

Re: Chinese 80W laser AWC608 - Speed/power questions

Quote Originally Posted by gauravag View Post
    Ok guys, I have my DIY 80W CO2 laser going. Had to figure out some crazy Chinese instructions on AWC608 manual . Still cannot figure out the following and would be glad to get some help here.

1. In the Cut option theres a Max and Min power ( i think in some versions its called Corner power ). From what i have seen the Max power is always used ? When does the machine use the Min power ( I set the Min power to 10 and max to 70 cut a square on acrylic and it came out fine ) .

2. My machine setup is 1300x900mm. I have noted that the cutting power reduces with distance. it I can cut 4mm acrylic at 70% power with 22 speed. near the origin. But when i move the orgin to x:1000 then it does not cut fully. I have ZnSe optics and have cleaned them all . Is this usual ? Is there anything in Awc608 that can compensate for power across lengths ? Or should i use the power that works at the farthest point ?

3. Lastly, is the tube life dependant upon the power at which its run ? or are the hours irrespective of the power. just curious as to when i am gonna put in my money into this again !

I guess ill have more soon, but for now have just the above
    Thanks !
    1/ max/min - yeah, depending on cases you can set them both the same for the job, eg max 20% min 20%, or you can allow some variation, say max 22% min 18%..... setting min 0% is wildly less than max is really only for special cases so special you can forget them for now.

2/ that is wrong, sounds like your beam is diffusing, or you are losing focus, set power for 5% and quick pulse a spot on paper with XY set for minimum possible beam path, measure spot dia, repeat for maximum possible beam path, measure spot dia, *should* be the same, near as dammit.... losing position on a lens, or losing focus lens / material distance constant will bith do what you describe here..... if the problem is beam diffusion you are more or less hosed and will have to live with it until you get a better tube.

3/ YES, YES, and YES again, also tube coolant temp...... Tube coolant should never go above 25 celcius, never above 20 celcius is better... If tube life is a priority set max power to 75% of NOMINAL tube power, not PEAK tube power, there will be a label on the tube giving both