584,817 active members*
5,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Adding 4th axis (rotary) to a 3 axis cnc router

Adding 4th axis (rotary) to a 3 axis cnc router

Hi all,

I have a 3 axis cnc router. The driver card I am using is 4 axis cheap TB6560. It is connected to computer via parallel port. 3 axis for X, Y, Z and one is the slave of Y. So I have no free port for the rotary axis I want to add.

To add the rotary axis do I need to buy a new 5 axis driver card or a single axis driver and connect it somehow to the main card?

Best,
    Suat

Re: Adding 4th axis (rotary) to a 3 axis cnc router

Hi - Is the rotary axis to be used as a substitution for another axis? If it is, couldn't you just plug it into the unused axis driver? You would probably have to setup another machine profile and start in that. You will probably have to buy a 5 axis card as you will need a breakout board to run the single axis driver. I was going to add a rotary to mine but on the latest one I built, I don't have the clearance under the gantry. I've now decided to build a dedicated machine for it. If you are going the TB6560 route it might be cheaper to get the individual drivers (around $10 ea on eBay) and a breakout board. I've got less than $40 in this one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	271000

Hi,

The laptop I'm using for the machine is very old but it does have a parallel port and a PCMCI expansion slot so I can add another parallel port for the rotary axis. Like you are saying all I need is a breakout board and a single axis driver. I'll go cheap for this and use what you use.

Thanks for your help.

Best,
    Suat

Hi - I don't think you can combine the ports. You will have to assign a different port address for the expansion card and I think your operating system (CAM program) will only accept one. You already have the A axis pin inputs in your 4 axis card. Are you going to be using both the X and Y the same time as you're using the A or rotary? If you're not using your Y, just position the Y and unplug the slave (A) and plug it into the rotary axis. You will have to setup a separate machine profile in your CAM program but you will have to do that anyway. I think that would be your easiest and cheapest way to do it. -J

I'll use all 4 axes (physically 5) at the same time.

I'm using Mach3 as CAM. It allows to use two parallel ports. Nice feature.

Best,
    Suat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc6.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	271148

Ok, I was thinking like mine, the A axis is used as a lathe rather than a rotary table. I only use three axis for that. I looked at my Linux CNC setup and it does have provision for a second and third port as well. Good luck! -J

Thanks Joham.