585,568 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3 axis stepper motor drive

I am new to this forum, I have owned a shoptask 17-20 XMTC for about 7 years. I am thinking of upgrading to stepper motors. I have plans to build the electronic part. The plans were published in projects in metal years ago.If anyone is interested I can e-mail you a copy of the article. What I was wondering has anyone tried the the control boards that are being sold on ebay? It's that old story do you make everything form scratch or do you buy some premade parts. I would also like to go to a variable speed motor on the lahte. I was toying with the idea of using a treadmill motor. Anyone have any advice on any of this ?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,
    My name is Ernie and I am new to this website. I have a 17/20 XMTC 1993 and I am interested in upgrading to stepper motor grades. Would you be so kind as to email me a copy of the article. Can you tell me what are good cheap stepper motors to run? I appreciate your help!
    Thanks,
    Ernie Day
    email: [email protected]

Hi Paul, yes I would like to have a copy of the article. I have a older Shoptask and would like to mod it to CNC..

As far as steppers, I have bought several off EBAY...

I would be glad to send you a copy. Please e-mail me your e-mail address.my email is [email protected]

I sell quite a bit of cnc parts for shoptask's. They use 452 oz in stepper motors on the XYZ axis. They also use Gecko G201 Drivers. See my web site at www.camtronics-cnc.com
    Dan Mauch

Quote Originally Posted by Paul V View Post
    I am new to this forum, I have owned a shoptask 17-20 XMTC for about 7 years. I am thinking of upgrading to stepper motors. I have plans to build the electronic part. The plans were published in projects in metal years ago.If anyone is interested I can e-mail you a copy of the article. What I was wondering has anyone tried the the control boards that are being sold on ebay? It's that old story do you make everything form scratch or do you buy some premade parts. I would also like to go to a variable speed motor on the lahte. I was toying with the idea of using a treadmill motor. Anyone have any advice on any of this ?

Thanks

Paul
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    [email protected]
    www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Dan,
    Is it Servo or Stepper motors that come on the 17-20 XMTC from the factory? Thanks,

Josh

17-20 were supplied with steppers. The original steppers in the '98-01 more or less time frame were under powered, down in the 200-250oz range and the 450oz steppers Dan has are a better match. www.geckodrive.com
    can give the details on their drivers. The G203V is the choice of discerning
    users, more bullet proof than the older 202 and its upgrade the 210.