585,962 active members*
4,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Building a new computer, what video card are you using?

Building a new computer, what video card are you using?

I am putting together a new computer for Mastercam X8 and Solidworks. I can find info for video cards for Solidworks, but Mastercam doesn't give much info except NVIDIA Quadro for a video card. While researching all of this I'm getting some mixed info on workstation vs desktop video cards and what will really work for CAD/CAM. So out of curiosity, what are you using for a video card?

Re: Building a new computer, what video card are you using?

Found here, https://www.mastercam.com/en-us/Supp...m-Requirements

Video

When purchasing a new computer for Mastercam, one of the most important areas is the video card.

We recommend an NVIDIA Quadro card with 2 GB or more of memory. Other graphics cards can be used, but they must offer full OpenGL 3.2 support (typically manufactured by AMD/ATI). We have seen some issues using AMD/ATI Radeon graphics cards.

We do not recommend or support the use of onboard graphics found with some PC configurations. These do not generally have the capability to drive graphics intensive applications such as Mastercam.

Make sure you are using up to date drivers from your card manufacturer. We often see issues that are resolved with updated video drivers and the driver version can have a great impact on how the card performs.

The latest drivers for NVIDIA and ATI/AMD can be found at the inline links. We recommend using the automatic detect feature to detect which video card is installed.

Re: Building a new computer, what video card are you using?

SW and Mastercam I always tell my Mastercam customer to go with the say looking at the new ones is the Quadro K2200 or higher as this starts as the mid range Qaudro series. this will do you well. following the line of if it has 2gigs of ram does not say much these days as you can get video cards that are like $60 and they say they have 2 gigs of ram.So like the K620 is the lower line of the quadros.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .