585,898 active members*
5,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Need Advice V27--- Computer Specs

Need Advice V27--- Computer Specs

I own Bobcad V27 Mill Pro and have not tried to use it yet on my current computer which is Windows XP. Could you help by telling me what specs I need to have on a newer computer without spending thousands of dolllars? I've been trying to keep up with the forum comments but seems like there are a lot of variations on what is really needed to run it.

Re: Need Advice V27--- Computer Specs

Well Doug,here is BoB's suggestion.

System Requirements | What hardware do I need | BobCAD-CAM | BobCAD-CAM

This is a case when more is better.

Been running V27 demo with XP pro service pack 3 with a Quadro 4000 video card. Even run 32 bit. I guess we'll all see how much bloat will be in win10

I found a computer on Ebay with the Quadro 4000 card for a pretty good price I think. Here are the specs....
    Dell Precision T3500 Workstation -

Intel Xeon W3565 3.2GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor
    12GB DDR3 ECC RAM (6x 2GB)
    1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" HDD
    Internal DVD-RW
    Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB PCI-e x16 Dual Display Port + 1 DVI Video Card
    Microsoft Window 7 Pro 64-Bit installed. (With Dell Reinstallation Media)
    Tested Off Lease Workstations. Have some Cosmetic Scratches, Nick and Dents on Case.

Paid $575 for it plus $29 shipping. It has specs all higher than the Bobcad site says is required so I hope this will work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster007 View Post
    I found a computer on Ebay with the Quadro 4000 card for a pretty good price I think. Here are the specs....
    Dell Precision T3500 Workstation -

Intel Xeon W3565 3.2GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor
    12GB DDR3 ECC RAM (6x 2GB)
    1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" HDD
    Internal DVD-RW
    Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB PCI-e x16 Dual Display Port + 1 DVI Video Card
    Microsoft Window 7 Pro 64-Bit installed. (With Dell Reinstallation Media)
    Tested Off Lease Workstations. Have some Cosmetic Scratches, Nick and Dents on Case.

Paid $575 for it plus $29 shipping. It has specs all higher than the Bobcad site says is required so I hope this will work great.
    It won`t be very quick with the HDD it has, always best to get computers nowadays with SSD (Solid State Drive) if you can, you will find if you are using large BobCAD 3D files that they will be slow to save and slow to open big programs, the SSD drives are way faster, like lightening compared to an old 7200rpm drive.
    Before the SSD drives came along I always used SCSII 15000 rpm drives (Server type drives), way, better

What you can do that won`t be expensive would be to get a small (60Gb) SSD installed and have the OS and BobCAD installed on it, that will give you the speed you need, for saving out programs you can save to a folder on the SSD and then copy them over to the SATA drive where you have more space and the copy from drive to drive will be way faster than saving to the SATA.

Other than that if it`s possible to up the RAM then you should be OK with that for a while at least, good price as well

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

No reason not to get a 256Gb SSD these days. They're only about $100, and will make the PC seem at least 10x faster.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks a lot guys. I'll check into getting a SSD installed after I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster007 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. I'll check into getting a SSD installed after I get it.
    SSD.......Your limitation on an ssd is going to be reads and writes to disk. An ssd will only give you so many and then just crap out. Done.an enterprise class ssd will give you much more and last longer. Those will be more like $400 (maybe a little less. Intel or samsung only)

If you are mostly just "working" (staying in ram), then that will make for limited reads and writes and a longer happy life. If you are pumping massive amounts of files through your desk, you may want to have a setup with only sata or scsi drives for that, or discuss with a tech getting your system to use one for most of that throughput, and just keep the os only on the ssd..... fyi

I am a one man shop right now and rarely even get into 3D work. I just want to be able to learn the Bobcad V27 so next time I can do the job efficiently. Most of my work is 2D and the software that I've had for years works great for it. Ever heard of XCad/XMill? They changed the name to Excalibur CNC and then went out of business years ago.