585,712 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HSS grayed out

Can anyone please tell me why the HSS feature in my home install version is grayed out? I am not getting any response from tech support email and chat requests. It works on my work PC so I'm wondering if there is a restriction like not being able to post G-Code. Is there any information on what restrictions the home install version has?

I'm still new to this CAM software and have been learning at home every chance I get so it would help of I had an idea of what to do here.
    Thanks.

Al.

Re: HSS grayed out

It must be a license issue, mine works on every workstation I plug the dongle in. As far as support goes, if they are unable to take the call they ALWAYS call us back promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    It must be a license issue, mine works on every workstation I plug the dongle in. As far as support goes, if they are unable to take the call they ALWAYS call us back promptly.
    Thanks for the reply. I've been to busy to make a call so I emailed them 3 days ago but nothing yet. I also tried live chat from home but after thinking I called the cable co. waiting longer than I expected I disconnected. I get nothing from Google but countless adds so I figured I'd try here. I've been real happy with what I've learned so far with no help needed and am making good use of the package. I'm the only machinist at this company but that's ok too except they have me attached to the assembly department thinking I simply a tool. Does the phrase "Egotopia" tell you anything.

Did you log into your account and generate a support ticket? They are EXTREMELY fast at getting a reply so I don't understand why you say the did not answer their email because support is done via their support portal at solidcamsupport.com and not email.

Did you log into your account and generate a support ticket? They are EXTREMELY fast at getting a reply so I don't understand why you say the did not answer their email because support is done via their support portal at solidcamsupport.com and not email.
    I did not. I had spoken to them once in the past when I called them with a real problem and they were very helpful. If I don't get an email by the first of the week I may try calling again. I've also had some instances of SolidCAM crashing that I'd like to get resolved. I am wishing there isn't a more active forum that I can visit.

The email I contacted was one I saw on their site so I'll have to make sure I am using the one you suggest.

Thanks again.

Al

What version and SP# are you up to? SW2015 and SC2014 SP4 has been fine. For some reason Solidworks SP2 would not install on my workstation! Man, that turned into a long event for the tech, he was remote for almost all of the day. He had to run the .NET repair utilities then after the reboot it took forever before the screen came up. So, I do not blame Solidworks at all because the .NET more than likely had gotten corrupted from an attempted breach. If it is doing funky stuff maybe get the .net repaired, so far its been fine, it had to be an isolated issue because SW SP2 installed on my laptop flawlessly.......

What version and SP# are you up to? SW2015 and SC2014 SP4 has been fine. For some reason Solidworks SP2 would not install on my workstation! Man, that turned into a long event for the tech, he was remote for almost all of the day. He had to run the .NET repair utilities then after the reboot it took forever before the screen came up. So, I do not blame Solidworks at all because the .NET more than likely had gotten corrupted from an attempted breach. If it is doing funky stuff maybe get the .net repaired, so far its been fine, it had to be an isolated issue because SW SP2 installed on my laptop flawlessly.......
    I use SW 2014 Pro SP4 with SC 2013 SP7. I'm told the company upgrades every 2 years with SW and this is the first year with SC. I've only been employed with this firm for about 4 years and no machinist ever work here that could even spell CNC.

I think the shop has an older SP as I do remember updating me laptop. I don't have any problems with crashes at home but the work system is much older. I'm thankful for anything I get from this team.

Like I mentioned, I get frequent crashes that indicate a report has been sent but I assume that's like MicroSoft info gathering. I don't ever expect a reply.

I really need to learn more and am still in the learning phase thinking any questions I have I'll stumble on answers to any time now.

Its hard to say what the problem is.........worse is working for some place that is too cheap to buy the latest tools to work with. If you are not running the video cards that solidworks has validated to work then that is another possible snag.

Its hard to say what the problem is.........worse is working for some place that is too cheap to buy the latest tools to work with. If you are not running the video cards that solidworks has validated to work then that is another possible snag.
    Yes, I agree. This was one discussion I had with one of the engineers on Saturday when he saw first hand how poorly my system performed. He said he would do what he could to get me a new box. The computers they use are probably fine but when you add SolidCAM the demands go up I think. After looking closer I found that the Solidworks install I have at work is Premium while the version I got on my Laptop is Professional for some reason. I'll now spend some time trying to learn the difference but I have no real problems other then the HSS feature doesn't seem to be activated. There is that small detail that everything I'm trying to do is on a ProtoTrak SMX and not a big boy CNC. That factor itself makes it difficult to find others online that can provide assistance. There don't seem to be any threads active where I can ask and get answers about programming methods as I have many questions about tool paths.

The other issue with Solidworks is whether or not they paid for maintenance and they don't have license issues. If Solidworks is hanging up the VAR that your employer purchased it from has to resolve the issue, that is what your yearly fee covers.
    Back to Solidcam, it does come with 2 basic HSS strategies and you need HSS upgrade to get the rest. If your empolyer paid for Solidcam maintenance SC's tech support will fix your issue with the prototrak post promptly.

The other issue with Solidworks is whether or not they paid for maintenance and they don't have license issues. If Solidworks is hanging up the VAR that your employer purchased it from has to resolve the issue, that is what your yearly fee covers.
    Back to Solidcam, it does come with 2 basic HSS strategies and you need HSS upgrade to get the rest. If your empolyer paid for Solidcam maintenance SC's tech support will fix your issue with the prototrak post promptly.
    I know they paid the yearly fee as a copy of it comes to me. I guess I'll have to place a call to support as it's been about a week and no reply. I don't have any problems with the software functioning with the Prototrak. It would be nice to communicate with others that also use this configuration however. I think the first thing I'll have to do it make sure the system meets the requirements before I get into some of the serious issues. Firstly I would like to know about the HSS feature.

Just to complete this thread I finally had time to contact tech support and they got on my system and fixed the problem. I did find out that I only have HSS Express so I'm limited for now. I have to find out more about how this ProtoTrak SMX works with the missing features and try to get an upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.

Regards.

Al