585,932 active members*
3,816 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Text Help

I am trying to engrave a poem into wood. Using a 90 degree V bit that seems to work good, but I have one problem. I want to use Blackadder ITC font. When I insert the text into BobCad V20 it appears just like I want it until I vectorize it. Using .001 accuracy, have also tried many other accuracy settings it outlines the text instead of giving me a single stick font like I need. The outline creates a double cut and an unreadable image once it is engraved. How can I get a single center line per letter -vs an outline?
    Thanks for your help

I think their was a program on www.NCplot.com that does that. ?

Here you go, and it's FREE! http://www.ncplot.com/stickfont/stickfont.htm

Not exactly what I was looking for. I have many stick fonts available, perhaps I used the wrong terminology. What I am trying to do is take on the characteristics of the Blackadder ITC font with a single pass of the router -vs- an outline cut? Any suggestions on how to do that?

becikeja,

With BobCAD you are going to need more than just a single pass. This is because the BlackAdder font has varying width as well as rough edges. There are different ways to handle this, you could pocket the shape (but this does not accomodate the V tip cutter). Or you could offset the letters to the inside, but you may loose some of the detail.

Here is a script that you can use to do a little bit of what you want. Just put the script into your Script Directory.
    1. Vectorize the Text.
    2. Select the Profiles so that the arrows point the direction you want your cutter to travel.
    3. Click on Special and then Scripts
    4. Select this script from the window and click Execute.
    5. Input the required information that the dialogues request.
    6. Once the Paths are generated you can use the 3D button to generate the program, make sure that you do not have the Auto Roughing turned on as it might cause a lot more work than necessary.

Regards

Here is the script
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the script I will give this a try. I thought about the pocketing but I need to stay with the V cutter to handle the other parts of the work. I'll let you know how this works. Thanks,

My understanding is that NCPlots 'StickPlot' needs a tool paths for each letter of the alphabet for each font type.
    You may need to create your own set.
    Suggest to get the varied widths of the BlackAdder font letters, the depth of cut could change while using your V cutter.

Tried the above script, Tried to offset the text and even tried additional script style fonts. Can't seem to get what I am looking for. I keep getting an outline of the letter when I vectorize the text. This is causing the letters to be to wide. I need a script style font that does not create an outline when I vectorize the text. I appreciate the help above.

To be specific, I need a single pass script style font that is readible at .5 inch scale when cut with a V cutter at 1/16" depth. Maybe it's possible that BobCad just can't do it, I don't know. I'll keep looking. In the meantime if anyone has any thoughts on the subject I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by becikeja View Post
    Tried the above script, Tried to offset the text and even tried additional script style fonts. Can't seem to get what I am looking for. I keep getting an outline of the letter when I vectorize the text. This is causing the letters to be to wide. I need a script style font that does not create an outline when I vectorize the text. I appreciate the help above.

To be specific, I need a single pass script style font that is readible at .5 inch scale when cut with a V cutter at 1/16" depth. Maybe it's possible that BobCad just can't do it, I don't know. I'll keep looking. In the meantime if anyone has any thoughts on the subject I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks,
    The cut can be done it's just the font you have has a width. You need to find a single line font. Bobcad installs several fonts but they may not suit your needs. Check all of them first.

This link is just one reason it is so hard to get.

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID51280...EW-HERMES.aspx

Hi becikeja,

Have you looked at VCarve Pro?

I think this will do what you want and if you e-mail me the text and what CNC code format you require I will send the toolpaths back to you.

Tony

Tony,
    Thanks for the offer. I'm sure VCarve will do what I need, but I really need to find a way to get into BobCad. I have some 3 D designs that I want to place text around. There has to be something.

I finally figured out how to slant and work with the X-Y ratio in Bobcad to get the std stick fonts provided to work. The only issue I have now is that everytime I need a space I get a line. Anybody know how to get rid of that line between the words without going back over it when it is vectorized?

Quote Originally Posted by becikeja View Post
    I finally figured out how to slant and work with the X-Y ratio in Bobcad to get the std stick fonts provided to work. The only issue I have now is that everytime I need a space I get a line. Anybody know how to get rid of that line between the words without going back over it when it is vectorized?

Try sending it to the CAD Side and Just select and erase what you don't want. Then it back to BobArt to creat what you want.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Most likely you just need to set your Z rapid and part top in the up/down setup.