584,858 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > Signal generator won't trigger plasma arc

Signal generator won't trigger plasma arc

I purchased a torchmate 2x2 about 4 years ago. I had virtually no clue what I was doing or how to operate the software. Took several months to get the stand for the table built, a computer set up, and for me to get enough of a grasp of the software to actually use it. Once I was finally starting to get the hang of it the computer crapped out. Frustration had set in and I back burnered the CNC plasma idea for a few more months. I finally picked up a cheap refurbished desktop and got her going again, only to find that as soon as I turned on the signal generator it would trigger the plasma cutter. Long story short I fought with torchmate for quite a while since I was outside of my 1 year warranty but they finally agreed to fix the signal generator for free using used parts (if I recall correctly they replaced the small circuit board that the output going to trigger the plasma is on, and I believe they called it the relay board) with the understanding that there was no more warranty on my machine. 3 months later it quit again, this time it just wouldn't trigger the plasma. So for the past year or 2 I have been using the table but manually controlling the plasma via a momentary contact switch. It works, but is something I would like to fix. Torchmate wants $500 for this stupid little board. It's my understanding that the signal generator is made by flashcut, but I was wondering if there is anyone who may offer an aftermarket replacement that's potentially cheaper and heavier duty. I do plan to add a relay to lighten the load put on the board. I will snap some pictures of the board tomorrow. Thanks in advance for helping out!

Re: Signal generator won't trigger plasma arc

I do not know if this will help or not, but I had a similar signal generator problem on my Torchmate X. The board that drove the X-axis quit. I swapped connectors and whichever motor that board was connected to didn't work, so I knew it wasn't sending signals. I pulled the signal generator apart and found the board manufacturer's name inside. Of course, the part number indicated a Torchmate board so they referred me to Torchmate. We use our table in the shop everyday, so I ordered one the next day. While I had the boards pulled, I went ahead and removed the covers (My signal generator's boards are in plastic enclosures inside the housing). I blew off the boards and cleaned the contacts on all of them with rubbing alcohol and let them dry overnight. In the morning, I realized I forgot which board was bad, all of the boards are the same on the signal generator. I re-installed all of them and tested, and the bad board came back to life! Now it is seven months later, and I am still running the board that died and keeping the one I ordered as a spare.

If you want, PM me the part number on your board, I'll figure out where I put my spare and if they work I'll see if the boss-man wants to sell it and get some of his $500 back. I did keep it in fear the original board was going to die "any day" but haven't had a hitch since.

First off, if the torch turned on when you turned on the signal generator, I would say that you simply have a setting wrong, or Torchmate just screwed up how they wired the relay to trigger the torch. On all of my Flashcut installations, two of which are plasma machines, turning on the SG forces all outputs to low (off). You might want to check into the "safety interlock" section of configuration to see if they have installed rules related to the outputs. If you can't find documentation on it at torchmate, I'd download the Flashcut manual and read about it there. Then you can see what your particular proprietary program has or does not have manageable by you (personally, I hate private label deals like this)

Frankly, you should be able to quickly diagnose this and make whatever you need to bypass anything you would need to. I'm thoroughly familiar with Flashcut, but have no clue what limitations have been put in place regards the torchmate interface, which is something THEY dictate and not Flashcut.

Do you have a signal generator with the small Molex looking plugs on the back ? Can you get into the configuration windows that let you define which output line is supposed to trigger the torch ?

Lets say that you see in the configuration, that line 1 is used to trip the torch. My first step would be to locate a LED as a test light across output pin 1 and the output ground. Do not confuse this connection with any other connection they may have labeled as torch. You should be able then to simulate the machines operation by being connected to the SG, but leaving your plasma machine completely unplugged from its main power supply. Watch your LED in comparison to what you expect, including that of running a G-code program. I would then connect the LED to a different output to see if upon startup you have the same thing or not.

Bottom line is that if you can get any one of the output lines to work the way you want it to by the software settings for that line, you can make your own relay to kick the torch on or off. First you have to see what the actual output is doing PRIOR to any existing torch relay they may have added.

Wish we could SEE what you have exactly......
    Chris L

Kinda forgot i posted this. I ordered the board that serves as the power distribution and relay, it didn't fix anything. Spent a few minutes on the phone with flashcut,it is a problem with my motherboard. The dude I talked to at flashcut was waaaay sharper than anyone I ever talked to at torchmate (I spent a lot of time one the phone with torchmate people). Apparently there is at least one (possibly more) unused channel on the motherboard. The guy had me repin one of the wires on the 5 pin connector (it only had 2 wires in the 5 pins) and change the output that the torchmate program triggers. Fixed the problem in less than 20 minutes. Maybe this can help someone else in the future.