584,812 active members*
5,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > anyone know where to get this optical edge finder?

anyone know where to get this optical edge finder?

You stick it in a collet and eyeball it over the edge or corner, then you look into the viewfinder and see a crosshair. You line up the crosshair with the edge or corner and you're done. Its fast and accurate. Only problem is I don't know who makes it or where to get one (I used one years ago in a different shop).

Anyone know what they're called, who makes them, or where to get one?

Thanks,
    Mike

mbwittig, Its called an optical centering microscope, sold by Flexbar for $399 I've used them with the almost required additional light source. With the proper setting up adjustments they can even be used on Co-ordinate Measuring Machines. Then to really have the deluxe version, attach the tv camera to it and view it on the screen instead of squinting thru the scope eye piece. Good stuff not cheap.
    DZASTR

I have seen these in ENCO, Mcmaster carr, and MSC. It is called a center scope or fine centering scope.In MSC made by SPI or they have an import.
    hope this helps.

Now THAT is cool.... Enco has them for $181.45.

I got the laser center finder from little machineshop. I only did some quick tests, but it seems to be great for picking up on pin pricks but everything else requires more "interpretation" than I'm comfortable with.

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by InspirationTool View Post
    Now THAT is cool.... Enco has them for $181.45.
    Can you show me a link? I still haven't found one on enco, mcmaster, or mscdirect. I tried searching for center scope, centering scope, microscope, and browsing edge finders, but no luck!!

Thanks,
    Mike

See page 256, item 240-0404. I searched for "centering scope".

-Jeff

Cool, thanks Jeff, I found it:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=240-0404

+/- .0001"!! The one I used had less of a zoom but a bigger field of view, and probably accurate to .001 or .0005

Anyone know of any others out there? I'd prefer a larger field of view (this one has 1/8") with the lower accuracy so its quicker to eyeball on the part and requires less light, but this is a great find.