584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY Drag Knife Test

Hi all,

I have had a few ideas for a cheap/easy diy drag knife in my notebook for a while and decided to build it. Still a work in progress with testing and refinement needed, but my first test went fairly well. Since I am not use to trouble shooting this kind of thing, I'll ask if there is an easy way to figure out way my second pass drifted off from the first, I am guessing I need to play with the blade offset value, and there is probably a way to figure it out by looking at the results, but I had not idea what that might be. Any trouble shooting any hints you can give me would be appreciated.

(Edit: I am using the drag knife gadget in VCarve Pro to generate the tool path, 2 passes .04 inch each, swivel depth 0.01 inch, Tolerance angle 20 deg., the material is ~.08 chipboard)

Thanks,
    Don B.

Drag Knife Test #1

Attachment 271882

Re: DIY Drag Knife Test

Most drag Knives I have seen cut at a maximum of 1/16" into material. I am not sure if this could have played a part in the difference you had noticed; as well I have known people to be mostly challenged while creating the G-Code for the blade to operate within. Watching a Drag Knife work, you could easily see where the difficulties in programming could come from. The challenge becomes getting the correct offset settings. Maybe break down and review the code and give it another try in a thinner material possibly? I am by no means an authority on drag knives, so if you find anything out that resolves the issue, could you possibly post a response stating what you had discovered. Thanks!
    "The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd..."
    -Albert E.