585,578 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ShopSabre 23 or Camaster Stinger 1 ?

Hello All,
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these two machines, ShopSabre 23 or Camaster Stinger 1. Price is very close so that is not a consideration. Is there any good reason to choose one over the other?

Tim

Re: ShopSabre 23 or Camaster Stinger 1 ?

Hi Tim

Been through the same decision process , your not alone .
    They both appear to be built on the same frame platform Laguna included. I guess it comes down to the electronics/ software and support from either company . I personally opted out from considering Laguna when the sales rep suggested I could perhaps take a loan out against my home just to buy their product .

Wish you the best though , either way .

Probably going to order the ShopSabre tomorrow. Nice 69 Camero in your sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sewald View Post
    Probably going to order the ShopSabre tomorrow. Nice 69 Camero in your sig!
    Big purchases , I don't like much either . I'm sure it will all work out . There is that Stinger listed on E-Bay been considering but the Canadian Dollar is $1.28 US

The car , ( random net image ) is sweet but it wasn't my first , 69 Pontiac Beaumont was . 307 with the 2 spd slush box trans , wish I still had it .

Anybody? I think they are close in quality but would really like some input if anyone knows both machines.

Thanks
    Tim

I think the ShopSabre is very new, so I don't that anybody has used both it and a Camaster.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That's generally the issue with asking a comparison on cnc's. Generally the best you can hope for is someone who has one or the other but not both. If I was looking at similar priced machines with similar builds I would then move the decision to the control used and my gut feeling on support (or closest technician).
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    That's generally the issue with asking a comparison on cnc's. Generally the best you can hope for is someone who has one or the other but not both. If I was looking at similar priced machines with similar builds I would then move the decision to the control used and my gut feeling on support (or closest technician).
    Exactly . Nowadays the best support is from other users ( forums ) and their willingness to give a helping hand . Splashy corporate advertising only goes so far . Wants and needs for what your end result is .

So What did you choose?

I think the Saber being all steel is a little better built, but if you are a new user, the stinger forum is good. shopsabre does not have a user forum.

Hello Tim
    I have followed this thread and wonder if you selected the ShopSabre 23? If so, how long have you been using it and general opinion? I have one on order currently and from the homework I've done plus my previous cnc experience with a custom benchtop and the problems that went with it,am anxious to own a factory made machine,so I can "make dust" it instead of "collecting dust".

Appreciate your response and feedback.

Larry

I have a ShopSabre 23 being delivered this week, weather permitting. Chose it over Camaster for the steel gantry and all ball screws. Had an all aluminum Precix in 2003 that gave me flexing in gantry that drove me nuts. Currently leasing a 5x14 Flexicam router to a business acquaintance in GA. Used it for 7 years until I retired, A 8000 lbs beast with rack and pinion. Cleaning rack, adjusting pinion a pain. Now that I'm retired, I just want to make dust. Had to move to Minnesota and freeze my butt while my wife finishes her last 3 yrs to retirement with her company. Being locked up because of snow, freezing rain, 0 deg. weather is no fun.

Hi Larry,

I chose the Shop Sabre 23. It's pretty well made machine for the most part. The hold downs are puny at best but probably the standard for machines this size....1/4" x 20 and the T slots in the table are aluminum so be careful to not over tighten. Accuracy and speed are both good and the software (VCarve Pro) is not bad to learn. If I had it to do over I would have went with a spindle instead of the Porter Cable router. The router is loud and reduced power when you reduce RPM. I also recommend the auto shut off when the program is done. I cut 1.25" HDPE on mine at 100 IPM in 5 cuts....will run faster if I want. If you choose the Shop Sabre be sure to get the training class if it's particle for you to make the trip to their facility. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Tim