585,956 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > PhotoVCarve and VCarve Pro > Cleaning up inside corners on profile toolpath

Cleaning up inside corners on profile toolpath

I've got a number of pieces that have some sharp inside corners that I am looking for a faster way to mill. I use two end mills, a 1/8" and a .050" to profile the outside of my piece. I rough out the profile with a 1/8" end mill, then I swap to the small end mill to clean up everything. It works pretty well, but it takes forever because the feed rates for the .050 end mill have to be so slow to avoid breaking when I get to an inside corner that was too small to get roughed out with the larger end mill.

Is there any way to automatically generate a toolpath that just goes in and cleans up only what the roughing pass missed? Basically I want the profile toolpath to work just like the pocket toolpath does when using a larger bit to clear out the pocket. I could do it manually, and it would be worth it for certain jobs, but for the one-off stuff I sometimes do, it would be more work than it is worth.

Re: Cleaning up inside corners on profile toolpath

I think I may have figured out a way to do this, but I'll have to give it a try. At least for some shapes, I should be able to use the offset tool and then use the original profile, the offset profile and a pocket toolpath with a larger rouging bit. I'll have to give it a try.