584,860 active members*
5,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Miltronics / Centurion 6 - Halt Problem

Miltronics / Centurion 6 - Halt Problem

Hi,

I"m a Hurco guy but I was at my buddies shop last night and he was doing some 90 Degree boring (engine block line boring) and the program is pretty simple. There is a sub routine that moves in the X and Z only. When the machine moved up from the first boring cycle and did and X move to the next main he pressed the halt button to measure the the first main. THE Machine kept moving, very slowly........ Again, I'm a Hurco guy but I have never ever seen this before. It was kind of scary actually.

Any ideas on where to start with something like this?

Thanks in advance,
    hk

Re: Miltronics / Centurion 6 - Halt Problem

Lots of questions:

Is the problem repeatable? Will it happen on demand?
    Does it do it in any other program or move? How about in Handwheel or Jog?
    Does the DRO follow the axis?
    If you swap the X and Y axis drives, does the problem stay or move?
    Is there any analog signal to the drive while the axis is creeping?

Report back.

1. Is the problem repeatable? Will it happen on demand? - Not on demand but 1 out of 5 times you halt the machine you'll see this.

2. Does it do it in any other program or move? How about in Handwheel or Jog? - Haven't seen this before. This program uses a subroutine and I gave that some thought at first but bottom line, the halt should halt any program running unless I'm missing something.

3. Does the DRO follow the axis? - Yes. The DRO is still ouputting the move . but the next location was to -15.050 and it ran past that. (see attachment)

4. If you swap the X and Y axis drives, does the problem stay or move? - The machine is creeping in both the x and z (not y).

5. Is there any analog signal to the drive while the axis is creeping? - Not sure how to check.

After 4 or 5 times of making this problem repeat The program crashed (see attachment)

Thanks again for any ideas
    hk

What happens when you use the feed hold button? When you push halt button unlike the feedhold button the halt is susposed to exit the run mode.

Once the run or verify modes have been entered a halt must be executed if the mode is to be exited prior to program completion.

You're correct, Halt should stop the motion, but it isn't. The working DRO tells us that the encoders and the counting part of the motion control is working.
    It appears that the motion part of the motion control is sending a small analog signal to the drives on it's own.

Here is what Milltronics says about a 192 error"

#960/#192 Control(NCB card) Failure
    CENT6/CENT7
    Cnc Version 268
    The NCB card did not respond for a long period of time.
    CAUSES:
    1. Bad NCB card.
    2. CNC versions 268-279 erroneously caused this error if block on and
    block off where pressed in quick succession.

It may be time to send the control to Milltronics for testing and repair.

Thank you all and I'll keep you posted on what they find with the card.

hk

Are you in IPR or IPM. I am wondering if you are in a cycle, kind of like a tapping cycle, the control will keep doing what it was programmed to do whether you feed hold, halt or whatever, short of E-stop or altogether exiting run mode, you will not break or modify a tapping cycle during operation. I really have to wonder if it could be the same situation.

The error 192 is a "motion control" communication failure. The controller chip has stopped responding. You can try pulling the NCB board cleaning the ISA contacts on the edge of the board, and try pushing (re-seating) the Black Motorola chip in the center of the board.
    The NCB board is the one between the SBC mother board and the interface, it has a blue connector on the bottom edge of the board.

Sportybob