584,837 active members*
5,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > plasmacam with hypertherm powermax600
Page 1 of 2 12

plasmacam with hypertherm powermax600

I just picked up a used plasmacam DHC model and set it all up but don't know how to wire my plasma cutter to the controller box. Can anyone help me out with a diagram or know how to wire it up?

Re: plasmacam with hypertherm powermax600

See if you can get a hold of Jim Colt, he is the Hypertherm Man and has a Plasma Cam. My Arclight came with the Powermax hooked up through the factory Interface Board so no help there. Jim hangs out on a lot of boards so if you google him you should find an email address something like JimColt@hypertherm etc.

Depending on the model Plasmacam (the original model 98Z had a two wire connection) there are only 4 wires to connect between the Plasmacam control box and any plasma cutter. Two wires (white and black from the Plasmacam cable) are the start signal for the plasma. When the Plasmacam wants the torch to fire it closes a relay contact on these connections. If your plasma is a Hypertherm and it has a hand torch mounted...then you will need to follow the instructions from Plasmacam as this requires some cutting and splicing of the torch trigger switch wiring...it is easy, but anyone that works for Hypertherm cannot recommend this as you are modifying the hand torch safety trigger circuit.

The other two wires (black and red from the Plasmacam cable) must attach to the raw arc voltage in the Hypertherm system. The black one connects to positive (same potential as the plasma work ground cable) and the red one connects to negative (same potential as the electrode connection in the torch. You can find these connections on the wiring diagram in the torch...or you can contact Hypertherm tech service for instructions on making these connections.

All of the above connections are available in the Plasmacam video disc that comes with the Plasmacam machine. You can also get the info from Plasmacam tech service or online at the Plasmacam owners community. PlasmaCAM Cutting Systems , click on owners community and have your machine serial number handy to sign up.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Ctw fab View Post
    I just picked up a used plasmacam DHC model and set it all up but don't know how to wire my plasma cutter to the controller box. Can anyone help me out with a diagram or know how to wire it up?

Hey CTW,

Call Tech support so that they can sent you the video manual. It will show you step by step instructions on video and it is a way better than taking a shot on in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmaMac View Post
    Hey CTW,

Call Tech support so that they can sent you the video manual. It will show you step by step instructions on video and it is a way better than taking a shot on in the dark.
    So I got my plasmacam up and running but can't seem to get the dhc to work properly does anyone have any experience with setting up the digital height control I have the dhc1 any help would be appreciated

You can get the info from Plasmacam tech service or online at the Plasmacam owners community. PlasmaCAM Cutting Systems , click on owners community and have your machine serial number handy to sign up.

The owners community has detailed instructions on setting the Zaxis and Arc voltage offsets.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Ctw fab View Post
    So I got my plasmacam up and running but can't seem to get the dhc to work properly does anyone have any experience with setting up the digital height control I have the dhc1 any help would be appreciated

If you picked up a used DHC1 system, make sure to give plasmacam's tech support a call and if you haven't already, have them send you a copy of the video instruction manual.You can also find a great wealth of information and everything having to do with your older DHC1 system machine on plasmacam owners community.

Definitely upgrade the older DHC machine's software to the DesignEDGE platform. You'll see a huge improvement in not only machine control, but amazing changes to its design capabilities compared to the outdated version. My friend upgraded his DHC to it and loves it..and I am sure you will too!

I've used a DHC in the past that a friend has and at the time it was great, but now after having the DHC2 with Designedge...... you couldn't pay me money to go back to using it vs plasmacam's DHC2 system. Definitely a wonderful upgrade, and especially with the more advanced height control that the DHC2 offers.

If you ever get a DHC2, the high control is completely hands off and requires virtually no user import. It will automatically zero out the Z-axis, in between material changes and from cut to cut. The collision avoidance feature on the more advanced height control is extremely nice as well (You can walk away from the machine! because it will stop automatically if something goes wrong).

As for setting the height control on the DHC1 (Please note that you do not have to do any of this stuff with plasmacam's more advanced DHC2 and its advanced height Control).

Calibrate z shift (affects piece height only) by doing the following:
    Jog the Z-axis all the way up, and then Jog the Z-axis down until you are about the thickness of a washer above the surface of the material. Try not to stall on the metal to avoid doing it over again. Next go the height control setting menu and click the ZERO butter (at the bottom). Check to make sure that your Cut Height is equal (or lower) than the pierce height. Now re-initialize the machine

Now you have to calibrate the Arc Voltage Shift (effects cut height);

Increasing and decreasing the arc voltage shift setting corresponds directly to the distance of your cut height.
    therefore, you have to adjust the arc voltage shift until the torch cuts at the height you want (usually about 1/10" to and 1/8" above the material). Adjust accordingly until your torch height is set. I recommend doing a few test cuts (usually a straight line is fine)

Once the arc voltage shift is set, write it down and make sure that you note consumable set that you used as well (arc voltage varies when using different types of consumables). Arc voltage may have some minor variations when cutting mild steel, stainless or aluminum. So make sure to adjust accordingly and save your settings for the different types of material that you cut.

Here are some other things to also check in order for your height control to work optimally:

1. Cut speeds that is recommended by the manufacturer of your plasma cutter for the material type and thickness of such. (if your cuts speeds are out of whack, your torch height control may not function properly).

2. Check to make sure that your minimum and maximum cutting signal (typically it should be 3 and 12 respectively.

3. Z-axis Speed (for DHC only) should between 40-50 (and never beyond 50…. this is NOT true for the DHC2 though, which is substantially more robust z-axis motor)

Don’t mess with the factory settings any for the other height control stuff or you might regret it later (i.e. height tolerance, max climb, max dive, climb zone and dive zone ).

Good luck brother,

JAG

If you picked up a used DHC1 system, make sure to give plasmacam's tech support a call and if you haven't already, have them send you a copy of the video instruction manual.You can also find a great wealth of information and everything having to do with your older DHC1 system machine on plasmacam owners community.

Definitely upgrade the older DHC machine's software to the DesignEDGE platform. You'll see a huge improvement in not only machine control, but amazing changes to its design capabilities compared to the outdated version. My friend upgraded his DHC to it and loves it..and I am sure you will too!

I've used a DHC in the past that a friend has and at the time it was great, but now after having the DHC2 with Designedge...... you couldn't pay me money to go back to using it vs plasmacam's DHC2 system. Definitely a wonderful upgrade, and especially with the more advanced height control that the DHC2 offers.

If you ever get a DHC2, the high control is completely hands off and requires virtually no user import. It will automatically zero out the Z-axis, in between material changes and from cut to cut. The collision avoidance feature on the more advanced height control is extremely nice as well (You can walk away from the machine! because it will stop automatically if something goes wrong).

As for setting the height control on the DHC1 (Please note that you do not have to do any of this stuff with plasmacam's more advanced DHC2 and its advanced height Control).

Calibrate z shift (affects piece height only) by doing the following:
    Jog the Z-axis all the way up, and then Jog the Z-axis down until you are about the thickness of a washer above the surface of the material. Try not to stall on the metal to avoid doing it over again. Next go the height control setting menu and click the ZERO butter (at the bottom). Check to make sure that your Cut Height is equal (or lower) than the pierce height. Now re-initialize the machine

Now you have to calibrate the Arc Voltage Shift (effects cut height);

Increasing and decreasing the arc voltage shift setting corresponds directly to the distance of your cut height.
    therefore, you have to adjust the arc voltage shift until the torch cuts at the height you want (usually about 1/10" to and 1/8" above the material). Adjust accordingly until your torch height is set. I recommend doing a few test cuts (usually a straight line is fine)

Once the arc voltage shift is set, write it down and make sure that you note consumable set that you used as well (arc voltage varies when using different types of consumables). Arc voltage may have some minor variations when cutting mild steel, stainless or aluminum. So make sure to adjust accordingly and save your settings for the different types of material that you cut.

Here are some other things to also check in order for your height control to work optimally:

1. Cut speeds that is recommended by the manufacturer of your plasma cutter for the material type and thickness of such. (if your cuts speeds are out of whack, your torch height control may not function properly).

2. Check to make sure that your minimum and maximum cutting signal (typically it should be 3 and 12 respectively.

3. Z-axis Speed (for DHC only) should between 40-50 (and never beyond 50…. this is NOT true for the DHC2 though, which is substantially more robust z-axis motor)

Don’t mess with the factory settings any for the other height control stuff or you might regret it later (i.e. height tolerance, max climb, max dive, climb zone and dive zone ).

Good luck brother,

JAG
    PlasmaMac thanks for the helpful tips it helped me out a lot, I'm having other issues with the machine glitching and making the cut path go off course and causes it to cut bad parts and is quite frustrating to wast material, anyone ever experience this problem?? Really need to find the problem to this any tips would be helpful

Hi CTW-

Call plasmacam's tech team and they can send you out a copy of the step by step video manual that will show you exactly how to wire your cutter to the machine. Also, if you haven't already, check into to plasmacam's designedge upgrade for your older machine DHC machine. It makes a pretty big difference when comes to design work and machine control aspects of the older system. I kid you not, it is the difference between night and day compared to the older version of the software. You'll love it.

Good luck, Brother!

JAG

Hi CTW-

Call plasmacam's tech team and they can send you out a copy of the step by step video manual that will show you exactly how to wire your cutter to the machine. Also, if you haven't already, check into to plasmacam's designedge upgrade for your older machine DHC machine. It makes a pretty big difference when comes to design work and machine control aspects of the older system. I kid you not, it is the difference between night and day compared to the older version of the software. You'll love it.

Good luck, Brother!

JAG
    I tried calling them and actually talked to technical support and explained my issues with the machine glitching and they did not give me my helpful tips or suggestions and pretty much rushed to get off the phone with me....I was quite disappointed with them not taking the time to actually look into finding the solution to this problem. Today I drew up a part and tried 4 different times to it it out and everytime it has glitches and ruined the part. I tried attaching a photo but can't seem to figure out how to do that but if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know at this point I'm open to anything that might help.......

In all of the times that I've called the tech guys for help they have always been more than more than helpful with me.

Did you get them to send you out a copy of the video manual? That's is going to be a big help.

You may also want to check the version of the software that your are running.

The newer plasmacam Designedge is the new stuff that is best (you can upgrade to it, if you don't have it, man it makes a difference on everything!). It has hundreds of features over the older version, like a parts library, loaded with metal cutting fonts, import images in direct (ever trace directly over them on the screen and it will automatically fix and detect overlapping intersection when you convert to a cut path (this can saves me a ton of time).

If you are running with the old school version, you'll at the very least want to have the version 3.11 update (Plasmacams tech can email the update or send you out the disc).

A glitch is pretty broad term that can mean a lot of things....
    It sounds like the way that the parts were drawn may be the problem. Before you make a cut path, make to check for any broken line segments, overlapping intersections and path's that are not closed on your drawing. You can fix some of these issues by using the following editing functions with in the software: trim extends editing function for fixing the overlapping intersections (i believe that the short cut key is 'x'). For broken line segments, you can use the 'link line segment' command to close any paths that are not connected to make them a solid closed path.

If any of these errors are apparent on your drawing, you could have issues when you convert to a cut path and then try to cut it.

The video manual is critical to watch (especially the software section of it), because it shows you exactly what to do in order to draw something solid and cut it our successfully. If you haven't already, get the video manual ordered. It will help a ton.

I hope this helps you out this weekend

Good Luck Brother!

JAG

In all of the times that I've called the tech guys for help they have always been more than more than helpful with me.

Did you get them to send you out a copy of the video manual? That's is going to be a big help.

You may also want to check the version of the software that your are running.

The newer plasmacam Designedge is the new stuff that is best (you can upgrade to it, if you don't have it, man it makes a difference on everything!). It has hundreds of features over the older version, like a parts library, loaded with metal cutting fonts, import images in direct (ever trace directly over them on the screen and it will automatically fix and detect overlapping intersection when you convert to a cut path (this can saves me a ton of time).

If you are running with the old school version, you'll at the very least want to have the version 3.11 update (Plasmacams tech can email the update or send you out the disc).

A glitch is pretty broad term that can mean a lot of things....
    It sounds like the way that the parts were drawn may be the problem. Before you make a cut path, make to check for any broken line segments, overlapping intersections and path's that are not closed on your drawing. You can fix some of these issues by using the following editing functions with in the software: trim extends editing function for fixing the overlapping intersections (i believe that the short cut key is 'x'). For broken line segments, you can use the 'link line segment' command to close any paths that are not connected to make them a solid closed path.

If any of these errors are apparent on your drawing, you could have issues when you convert to a cut path and then try to cut it.

The video manual is critical to watch (especially the software section of it), because it shows you exactly what to do in order to draw something solid and cut it our successfully. If you haven't already, get the video manual ordered. It will help a ton.

I hope this helps you out this weekend

Good Luck Brother!

JAG
    I have the 3.11 version software already, the parts that I cut I've been cutting for years and I've been using a plasm cam machine for years as well so I know 100%it is not the drawings. I've checked my wiring and everything seems to be OK.....I literally don't know what else to try this problem is extremely frustrating not to be able to cut parts due to the machine glitching and not being a to find the problem. I wish I knew how to attach photos so I can show you the kind of problems it's having. If you have an email I can send them to you that way?..

I am 100% sure that it is something really simple, man! With all of the folks that I know that have had machines, the solution to the problem has always been rather simple.

Btw, did you track down your video manual? That thing is excellent and super helpful, but with out it....

I can almost guarantee it's your cut path, based on some of the details in your previous posts. Look out for a PM with my email and I will definitely take a look at it, Brother.

JAG

There are a lot of experienced Plasmacam users that can help. You will need to provide much more info than just that the machine "glitches" in order to get it sorted out though. As has been mentioned in this thread...perhaps the best way to get cutting issues resolved is to join the Users Community on the www.plasmacam.com website. Have your machine serial number handy to join, then post a detailed description of what you mean by the glitch....and you will get multiple responses from very experienced users.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Well said, Jim!

Plasmacam's owners community is an excellent resource for all plasmacam owners.

JAG

Hey guys, I've been running my plasmacam dhc model (not the dhc2) this thing used to run awesome but not its in reliable the machine is constantly glitching while running parts. I've been cutting these parts for a long time so I'm 100% sure it is not the file. I've tried replacing my computer thinking it may just been that's its old and slow but that didn't help, also took apart the table and gave it a good service cleaned all the gears,made sure all connections wer good and put it all back together and still having the issue. So next I started getting really frustrated with it not doing what it is supposed to do so I started tapping the servo motors and did a test run before cutting parts and it would glitch so I tapped the motors and wouldnt glitch so my question is do these servo motors need to be rebuilt?

Cool Re: plasmacam with hypertherm powermax600

Dude,

The word "glitch" is an extremely broad term and in this situation is not a very helpful way to portray your absolute problem.

A glitch is usually used to describe a short-lived fault that is observed in a system and tends to be transient ( temporary), self correcting.

Typically, if you were having a serious malfunction or a catastrophic problem with the servos, there would be would definitely be an indication within plasmacam software in the form of an error message that would pop up on your computer screen.

A TRUE glitch within the system, especially on the older machine, would have most definitely been corrected with the different software updates that were released. Make sure to check and make sure that you are up to date on these as well as (version 3.11 for the old school software and version 4.33 is the latest version update for the new designedge software).

Everything has a cause and effect relationship when it comes any type of machine. Things have to work together in order to produce a specific result. For example, plasmacam’s robotic system & software, a plasma cutter and desktop PC all work together in order to produce a user result, which is directed by user input. An break down or fault in any part of these individual systems can have an adverse consequences on the end result.

My best recommendation would be to plasmacams tech support, bro!

Make sure to fully describe the results of the problem (ie my motors intermittently stop, torch will not fire...things like this are more descriptive than just calling them a glitch.)

They’ll have a better idea about the problem that may be caused by operator error or indeed something that warrants a replacement part.

Good luck Brother!

JAG

Hey Jim, We have a powermax 1250 with a machine torch head that we are trying to connect to our plasmacam table. We have had the system operating for approximately 2 years with no issues and now when you start the cut, the torch head starts to move before the torch fires. We have contacted both Plasma Cam and Hypotherm regarding this issue. Plasma Cam states that it is wired incorrectly and Hypotherm is telling us that we have the cable wired correctly into the back of the plasma cutter. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

We last spoke with a hyptherm service rep and he stated that the only way to control a torch with a machine head is by using the CNC port on the back of the plasma cutter. Do they make a cable that goes from the plasma cam control box to the CNC port?

LEMFG,

The Powermax 1250 when used with a machine torch does require that the start signal wires from your Plasmacam machine (which are the white/black pair in the Plasmacam supplied cable) connect to pins 3 and 4 in the rear panel CPC (stands for circular plastic connector!) port. The other two wires (Red/Black pair) must connect inside the power supply to screw terminals J15 (this is positive voltage, connects to the Black wire in the Plasmacam cable) and J16 (This is negative and connects to the Red wire in the Plasmacam cable). These PC board connections are the same connections you would have had when using the hand torch...the only difference being that the start connections for the machine torch must come from pins 3 and 4 of the CPC.

The Plasma cam control is unique among cutting machines as it uses the actual cutting voltage to sense when the plasma arc is cutting metal....that is what tells the machine to start moving and it also is used for feedback for the Plasmacam height control system. Hypertherm does offer a lower level of this voltage (divided by 50) on pins 5 and 6 of the CPC port, however that is incompatible with the voltage requirements on the Plasmacam machine.

Newer Hypertherm systems, the Powermax65, 85, 105 and 125 do have a compatible divided voltage setting that allows a plug and play connection for the Plasmacam machines.....no connection to the internal power board required on these units.

I can supply you with manufacturer numbers for the Amp plug, the pins and the strain relief that will plug into the CPC......or if you want I can send you a mating plug with a short pigtail to make the start signal connections easy for you.......I keep them in stock in my home shop because this comes up often! I charge $20 to cover the cost of the components and shipping....let me know what route you want to take.

Contact me directly at [email protected] Best regards, Jim

Here is a picture of the "pigtail": Attachment 318032

Quote Originally Posted by LEMFG View Post
    Hey Jim, We have a powermax 1250 with a machine torch head that we are trying to connect to our plasmacam table. We have had the system operating for approximately 2 years with no issues and now when you start the cut, the torch head starts to move before the torch fires. We have contacted both Plasma Cam and Hypotherm regarding this issue. Plasma Cam states that it is wired incorrectly and Hypotherm is telling us that we have the cable wired correctly into the back of the plasma cutter. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

We last spoke with a hyptherm service rep and he stated that the only way to control a torch with a machine head is by using the CNC port on the back of the plasma cutter. Do they make a cable that goes from the plasma cam control box to the CNC port?

Hey Jim,

Can you give me the terminal numbers for the red and black wires on the 600 like you did for the 1250 above. i think I have it wired correctly but can’t find a pic or thread anywhere that actually states the exact terminal numbers the red and black wires go to.

Thanks,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    LEMFG,

The Powermax 1250 when used with a machine torch does require that the start signal wires from your Plasmacam machine (which are the white/black pair in the Plasmacam supplied cable) connect to pins 3 and 4 in the rear panel CPC (stands for circular plastic connector!) port. The other two wires (Red/Black pair) must connect inside the power supply to screw terminals J15 (this is positive voltage, connects to the Black wire in the Plasmacam cable) and J16 (This is negative and connects to the Red wire in the Plasmacam cable). These PC board connections are the same connections you would have had when using the hand torch...the only difference being that the start connections for the machine torch must come from pins 3 and 4 of the CPC.

The Plasma cam control is unique among cutting machines as it uses the actual cutting voltage to sense when the plasma arc is cutting metal....that is what tells the machine to start moving and it also is used for feedback for the Plasmacam height control system. Hypertherm does offer a lower level of this voltage (divided by 50) on pins 5 and 6 of the CPC port, however that is incompatible with the voltage requirements on the Plasmacam machine.

Newer Hypertherm systems, the Powermax65, 85, 105 and 125 do have a compatible divided voltage setting that allows a plug and play connection for the Plasmacam machines.....no connection to the internal power board required on these units.

I can supply you with manufacturer numbers for the Amp plug, the pins and the strain relief that will plug into the CPC......or if you want I can send you a mating plug with a short pigtail to make the start signal connections easy for you.......I keep them in stock in my home shop because this comes up often! I charge $20 to cover the cost of the components and shipping....let me know what route you want to take.

Contact me directly at [email protected] Best regards, Jim

Here is a picture of the "pigtail": Attachment 318032

Page 1 of 2 12