585,581 active members*
3,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spoil board questions

Guys please help. I need to purchase a spoil board…i finally found mdf here locally in a 5x10 but what i read is that uldf especially trupan is the way to go. Problem as most of you probably know its nearly impossible to get. What should i do…buy the mdf or how the heck do i get this uldf or trupan.

Thanks in advance,

Cody

Re: Spoil board questions

Hey Cody;
    I've used trupan in the past but only because I designed a vacuum table for my homebuilt. I finally quit using it due to the lack of a decent vacuum system. Unless you have special needs, MDF would be the way to go. Heck, that is what everyone uses and if memory serves, it's half the cost.!
    Sorry, can't remember where I got the trupan. Maybe fleabay?
    Good luck and happy cutting!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Thanks Bill,

Ok, I was just wanting to get the most out of my vacuum table. It seemed like most people were saying that you could pull much more vacuum vs mdf. Due to the lack of trupan available it looks like it's gonna be mdf.

Thanks again,

Cody

Well I just found some 4x8 sheets of uldf here locally, but only mdf in 5x10. I would have to seem the 4x8 pieces plus I would have a lot of waste. Is there anyone that can give an example of possibly how much increased vacuum you can pull with uldf vs mdf under similar loads. For example if I can pull 7" of vaccum with mdf loaded how much would uldf pull under the same circumstances. I know it's not exact I'm just trying to see if it's worth it.

Re: Spoil board questions

For the price of a sheet of MDF (less than $50) you can find out pretty quickly by doing it yourself. Everyone's vacuum system is different, so it would be hard for someone to tell you the difference on their machine, as it wont be the same on yours (unless you find someone with exact specs) even then, your pump may be in better/worse shape. MDF is more dense, so you certainly wont be able to pull as much vacuum. You could do a quick test if you are able to rig up a test with a small piece and a 2 or 3" diameter line running up to it. Silcone or hot glue it on. Pull a vacuum and measure, then repeat with your other material . This should give you a similar ratio for the 2, given the linear relationship (I'm pretty sure it's linear).

tkr

- - - Updated - - -

For the price of a sheet of MDF (less than $50) you can find out pretty quickly by doing it yourself. Everyone's vacuum system is different, so it would be hard for someone to tell you the difference on their machine, as it wont be the same on yours (unless you find someone with exact specs) even then, your pump may be in better/worse shape. MDF is more dense, so you certainly wont be able to pull as much vacuum. You could do a quick test if you are able to rig up a test with a small piece and a 2 or 3" diameter line running up to it. Silcone or hot glue it on. Pull a vacuum and measure, then repeat with your other material . This should give you a similar ratio for the 2, given the linear relationship (I'm pretty sure it's linear).

tkr

Quote Originally Posted by CNCing View Post
    Well I just found some 4x8 sheets of uldf here locally, but only mdf in 5x10. I would have to seem the 4x8 pieces plus I would have a lot of waste. Is there anyone that can give an example of possibly how much increased vacuum you can pull with uldf vs mdf under similar loads. For example if I can pull 7" of vaccum with mdf loaded how much would uldf pull under the same circumstances. I know it's not exact I'm just trying to see if it's worth it.
    The dealer tech from Biesse told me to steer clear of the LDF and just stick with a 3/4 sheet of MDF. Also 3/4 thick to start and scrap it when it gets nearl 3/8 thick.

Good luck.