585,885 active members*
6,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My new Smithy

Hey everybody,
    This is my first time here so i hope I dont make anyone mad if I make some mistakes. My dad bought a Smithy 1200 at an auction only after I begged and made lots of promises I am already sorry for. Anyway I think everything works good and it is only about 8 years old but what is wrong is that nobody here knows how to use it correctly. I already broke one of the cutter tips and my brother has no idea what hes doing and my dad wont let me use it anymore without him being in there with me (I'm 16).
    But what I need is where is a good place on the internet to figure it out and learn what I need to know. We got no information with it like manuels or books. If somebody knows where i can dowmload a operator manuel that would be the best. I already know from reading here that it needs to be aligned or backlashed but think I need instructions for that.
    And if you want to know why I will use it is fix all the parts I brake on my 4 wheeler and other stuff. My dad is a welder and can bend things straight again so with this Smithy we can do it, and than I can make some money fixing other peoples 4 wheelers or anything else. So thanks if you can tell me where to do this my eyes are hurting looking at the computer so long.

Robbie Lewis

here is a Smithy link for you (might help)?

http://www.smithy.com/ecom/listing.a...+%26+EDUCATION

You might check your local library also. Since your 16, how about talking to a shop teacher at school?

Good idea about the library so I will look next time we go there, but those books at smithy.com, man they HIGH. I cam maybe get one that is 8 dollars but the rest no way. And about my school, I wish. There are only 66 kids that go to my school so we don't have shop classes yet.
    Thanks for the ideas and for showing me smithy.com.

Robbbie

Good idea about the library so I will look next time we go there, but those books at smithy.com, man they HIGH. I cam maybe get one that is 8 dollars but the rest no way. And about my school, I wish. There are only 66 kids that go to my school so we don't have shop classes yet.
    Thanks for the ideas and for showing me smithy.com.

Robbbie
    If I find anything else, I'll post it here.

Smile Speeds for You

Take number160 and divide the diameter of your cutter into that number. This gives you a safe rpm for cutters and is simple also, Madman aka Mike

Thanks madman, it would'nt hurt if i cut too slow would it? I'm not in any big hurry and don't need to break anything.

Smile Hurts to cut too slow?

Actually when im on the manual equipment in the toolroom I use that number 160 divide my cutter diameters into it, and it works out ok for my D2 A2 4340 4140 steel cutting. You can optimize your feed and speeds by calculations in the machinery handbook (a g00d book to invest in you only need one for your entire lifespan nice xmas present from someone you know with money HaHa.) After years of machining you can tell by the way the chip looks nice figure 9 shape and blue hot chip with carbide inserted tooling is good for optimumn efficiency, In regards to this statement this is what we produced when machining m300 aircraft forging on large (house sized )millimg machines years ago. Hope this helps you a little, Mike :rainfro:

Chip sweeper. See if there are any technical schools near you. You can take classes on machine usage. The machines will be different but the principals will be the same.