585,555 active members*
3,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Path Pilot - Rasberry Pi 2 b

Has anyone tried to run the new Path Pilot on a Rasberry Pi 2.0b? With a quad core processor and enough ram you should be able to correct?

Re: Path Pilot - Rasberry Pi 2 b

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 b and would love to test this out but have no Path Pilot license and don't own a Tormach. An

would it run linuxCNC 2.7
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't believe there is a PCI-e interface for the FPGA card and the PathPilot distro seems to be tightly coupled with the card.

I have never worked with Raspberry Pi before, but I pulled the specs from: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | Raspberry Pi

I may be brain-farting here, but I am under the impression that just because you have a Linux distribution, doesn't mean you can install it in whichever processor you want. Path Pilot is based on Linux which was compiled to operate on an Intel CPU. As a result, the machine language will ONLY work with an Intel CPU.

Raspberry Pi's, on the other hand, are ARM cores and rest assured the instruction set is 100% different.

Now, with that being said. If you take the source code for Linux 2.7, and you do your Linux magic (for which there are not too many wizards on this planet and this is not to be thought of as a simple task), then you should be able to compile Linux CNC 2.7 for the Raspberri Pi. Sounds like an awesome project to me! Hardware could be devised to transform a Raspberri Pi into the ultimate CNC controller! Heck, all the required processing power is already there...
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    I may be brain-farting here, but I am under the impression that just because you have a Linux distribution, doesn't mean you can install it in whichever processor you want. Path Pilot is based on Linux which was compiled to operate on an Intel CPU. As a result, the machine language will ONLY work with an Intel CPU.

Raspberry Pi's, on the other hand, are ARM cores and rest assured the instruction set is 100% different.

Now, with that being said. If you take the source code for Linux 2.7, and you do your Linux magic (for which there are not too many wizards on this planet and this is not to be thought of as a simple task), then you should be able to compile Linux CNC 2.7 for the Raspberri Pi. Sounds like an awesome project to me! Hardware could be devised to transform a Raspberri Pi into the ultimate CNC controller! Heck, all the required processing power is already there...
    There are already Linux distros compiled for the Raspberry Pi that will support LinuxCNC, however, probably not PathPilot.

PathPilot ships as a pre-installed OS (Ubuntu 10.04) that is bundled up as a disk image on a bootable DVD. It will only deploy to an x86 based processor. Additionally, I'll reiterate my previous concern that there isn't a PCI-e bus to plug the hardware card into =)

Of course, if you don't mind running the native LinuxCNC with a USB interfaced driver, I see no reason it shouldn't work with the Tormach. Keep in mind this wouldn't be PathPilot though and you would lose access to the Tormach-specific additions to LinuxCNC that make PathPilot what it is.

There may also be license issues involved. Just because Linux is open source and LinuxCNC is open source doesn't mean PathPilot is open source. Even if it might be eventually, Tormach hasn't released it as such yet. I don't think they're yet willing to sell it to someone without a Tormach machine.

Quote Originally Posted by burdickjp View Post
    I don't think they're yet willing to sell it to someone without a Tormach machine.
    By trade marking the name, hints at this being a future product sold and supported for use on other machines.

Just guessing
    md

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    By trade marking the name, hints at this being a future product sold and supported for use on other machines.

Just guessing
    md
    Maybe it's in the cards, but I could see the support necessary for doing so being a very large mountain to climb.

But I oh so want it.

Of course, if you don't mind running the native LinuxCNC with a USB interfaced driver
    There are no USB boards that work with LinuxCNC, are there?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I don't think it's finalized but k-motion has some members on Yahoo who have been working on a Linux cnc setup with some success.

Ben