585,763 active members*
4,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rezizing a model in FreeCAD?

I'm attempting to do a test with Heeks using a simplified version of a 3D model I made in trueSpace 6.6*. I exported to IGS and the crazy thing alters the size of it so when I import into Heeks the model is too large.

It's supposed to be 2.022 x 3.156 x 0.680 inches, but trueSpace blows it up to 8 inches long when exporting. I just tried FreeCAD and I set it to imperial decimal, when it imports the IGS the thickness (Z) is 680, X is 2021.8 and Y is 3155.93. What units is it using instead of inches or did it drastically lose where the decimal is supposed to be?

Also, the view size in the lower right is in metric despite the setting to imperial decimal. If I zoom to have the model fill the window, the size is over 5x3 meters. How the heck does FreeCAD get a length of over 9 feet out of a file that trueSpace blew up from 3.156 inches to 8 inches (that's the exact dimension it re-loads it as)?

How can I just adjust the overall size/scale to exactly the dimensions it needs to be, then re-save it as IGS - without the axes changing location or the dimensions changing?

I don't want to have to start over from scratch on this object. Took me hours quite some time ago to model it, started by scanning the real item then putting the image on a plane, scaled to exact size, then I traced over it to get a polygon to extrude the basic shape from. There were also many measurements with calipers and manual adjusting of vertex positions.

*I'm going to move away from trueSpace since its exports to various formats are screwy, when exporting it relocates the axes to trueSpace's origin (fix for that is to normalize object location before export). But that doesn't help because when re-opening an exported model it just saved, it relocates the axes to the center of the object. Soooo, yeah, tS is a nice app for 3D rendering and animation using its native COB format but it's not so great for 3D modeling for CNC - unless there's a program that can convert COB to other formats without screwing up the dimensions.

Re: Rezizing a model in FreeCAD?

I don't think Truespace is changing the size when saving, but when importing.
    It looks like FreeCAD is showing the model 10x bigger than the actual size, so I would just either shrink it to 1/10 it's size before exporting the IGES, or do it in FreeCAD after importing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Rezizing a model in FreeCAD?

you can try viacad...

Amazon.com: Punch ViaCAD Pro V7: Software

its import igs, step and other solid formats..

and writes out in almost any format..