585,717 active members*
3,965 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mitsubishi spindle problem

Has anyone had or know of a solution to this problem?

Mitsubihi 520m Control, Mits Drives, Mits Spindle motor,

when machining inconel 625 .075 doc 70 rpm 4. ipm 20 horse spindle motor no gear box when the inserts break down the spindle will only go to about 60% then the motor stalls and the table continues to move no Alarms etc. Just broken inserts when doing this manually in jog mode if you reverse the axis movement the spindle will turn again.

We checked param and everything seems good from what we have wrote in
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Did this problem just recently start? Has the spindle seemed wimpy before? Does the spindle load stay at 60% when the motor stalls?

Can you tell if the motor is a dual winding motor? If so, do the contactors switch state when changing speed ranges?

This does sound like it could be a parameter problem, do you have the model numbers of the drive and motor?

Thanks,
    Scott

Unhappy Mits Spindle Problem

This problem is recent since this is the first time we ran this slow and are cutting inconel. in steel at 450 rpm and .125 doc 14 ipm spindle rearely went over 20%. there are no speed ranges. I can get motor and drive model numbers tommorow at work and post then. What concerns me the most is it does not alarm out when it does this and it causes quite a mess broken inserts etc. and it is real boring standing there staring a the spindle for 10 hours a day. 60hrs apiece only 14 more to go
    Bill

Unfortunately, the control does not automatically detect that the spindle has stalled and stop the feed. This would need to be added to the PLC logic and may not be a simple thing to do depending on the complexity of the PLC program.

The lack of power may just be that you are running the motor too slow. For these motors, power is proportional to speed from zero up to the base RPM of the motor. Base RPM may be as high as 1500 depending on the motor model. In a case like this, a gear box is a good thing.

Scott

Darn that is not what I wanted to here. This has been a good machine so far we aquired it used it is a 1998 Sintec Tiawan made and have had no trouble up to now It has out done our brand new Milltroncs VM30XP thru spindle coolant and all the fancies its been down almost as much as it has ran and its only 16 months old

I think it is still a Param problem. I have been machining for over 30 yrs, CNC since 1979 and could always run 100% on the spindle.
    Bill

Not a mazak but with a mitsubishi drive and spindle servo the overload sensing should be done by the IPM (Inteligent power modual) that is the busness end of the drive unit. Any alarm state should be triggered by the drive regardless of parameter settings. To have the spindle resume rotation after the load is removed makes me think the IPM in the drive is failing.

Could be wrong.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wcopley View Post
    I think it is still a Param problem. I have been machining for over 30 yrs, l
    To prove the parameter theory, just re-load the parameters from floppy.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    To prove the parameter theory, just re-load the parameters from floppy.
    Al.
    Al
    The only parameters we have on floppy are the ones I copied out of the control after we recieved it.
    Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MetLHead View Post
    Hi Bill,

Did this problem just recently start? Has the spindle seemed wimpy before? Does the spindle load stay at 60% when the motor stalls?

Can you tell if the motor is a dual winding motor? If so, do the contactors switch state when changing speed ranges?

This does sound like it could be a parameter problem, do you have the model numbers of the drive and motor?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott

Here is the spindle drive model MDS-B-SP-260
    AC Spimdle motor model SJ (that is what I think th sj is) Hard to read the way they mount the tag in behind the spindle.
    Thanks
    Bill

Al
    The only parameters we have on floppy are the ones I copied out of the control after we recieved it.
    l
    That would probabally be the ones to reload.:violin:
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Scott

Here is the spindle drive model MDS-B-SP-260
    AC Spimdle motor model SJ (that is what I think th sj is) Hard to read the way they mount the tag in behind the spindle.
    Thanks
    Bill
    Bill,

Can you get the rest of the motor number? Should be something like SJ-15A or SJ-18.5A

Also, if you can post the current parameter settings that would help too.

Thanks,
    Scott

Before you reload the params off the disk make sure you back up your control in case of other problems

If you stalled the spindle i would expect drive to alarm. have you checked the obvious , stripped drive belt or pulley problem ? .If speed is detected from motor pulsecoder the drive would not know the spindle had stopped.

We replaced the spindle drive Friday. Mitsubishi suggested that it maybe the problem. Today we were cutting with a 8" Facemill .05 DOC 7" width 50 RPM
    4 IPM . Spindle went up over 70% didnt stall just ate the inserts like it should
    so it appears it is fixed
    Bill

glad to hear your up and running
    Mick

I had a feeling it was your drive. For expensive giggles next time try replacing only the Intellegent power modual. It's an 1100 dollar part rather than a 7000 dollar drive.

We've had three drive failures on three different machines this year and every time replacing only the IPM has solved the problem.

Mitsubishi drives the same as yours, one main spindle drive and two of them were dual drives in which case you only replace the failed axis.

It's on average 1/5 - 1/4 the cost although mits doesn't recommend it as they say other components in the drive may be getting weak.

We've added additional filtered cooling to the heat sink shroud for the drive units on all our machines as we've learned that heat build up on shutdown has a seriously detrimental effect on drives. We also plan to remove all the drives every 6 months and clean the fans and heat sinks to ensure proper cooling.

Ever notice most drive failures happen literally overnight?

It was good when we shut 'er down last night!

mike

hello

hello, I am using mazak qt20 lathe machine, driver problem occured. MDS-B-SP-260 model alarm codes are F6 23. how can I solve the problem, pls help. thanks.