585,758 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Dimensions on 2D geometry

Dimensions on 2D geometry

I've been able to create a tools list for an imported 3D model in order to obtain a hardcopy with a view(s) of the model as well as some of the dimensions of the model. Is it possible to do the same for a 2D design done with the 2D geometry tools? I have been able to get the 2D model drawing to show up but not the dimensions. If one designs a model within Sprutcam it would be really nice to be able to visulaize it along with its dimensions.

Also, a question about using the calculator in the 2D geometry mode to make measurement. I found that most measurements can be made on the contour layer but I have to go to the geometry layer to make others. For instance for a line I can get the length while on the contour layer but I have to go to the geometry layer to get the angle. The manual isn't clear but is this the way it is supposed to work? Am I supposed to go to the geometry layer to make measurements?

Terry, I think that because geometry that is contained in the 2D Geometry folder is still editable, SprutCAM does not add dimensions in the Tools list when it is used.
    To overcome this, in 3D Model mode, copy the curves from the 2D Geometry - Plane XY folder and paste them into the Model folder, I think you will find that this will solve the problem.
    Don't forget that you now have two copies of the curve(s) and if you do a subsequent edit of the actual 2D Geometry it will not update the copy that is now in the Model folder.

I tend not to use the Geometry calculator very much as you do have to switch between modes depending on what it is you are evaluating.
    I preffer to use 'View mode' as this will generally give you all the information that you need. If used in conjunction with the 'Snaps' it is very quick and easy to get the dimensions required.
    The 2D Geometry tools in SprutCAM are not a CAD system, but if you want to use the geometry you have created in SprutCAM in an external CAD system, then you can use the 'File - Export in DXF' option to do this.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on.

HTH

Dave

Terry, just a quick addition to my previous reply, when using the 'View mode' I would suggest that you deselect the 'Automatic deletion of unused elements' option which you will find under 'Options - Edit - 2D geometry'.

Dave

Thanks...