585,982 active members*
4,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > arduino nano with grbl

arduino nano with grbl

Hi all!

Well, I got kinda stuck with my recent project here.
    I'm planning to build a little cnc router 50x50cm and 25cm high to make wooden lures!

So I allready got all the mechanical stuff and so on, and also bought me this ( not from the same site though )
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 3DV4 CNC Shield V4 + Nano 3.0 + Reprap Stepper Drivers Set for Arduino Free Shipping from Reliable set palette suppliers on TUTO Technology | Alibaba Group

I really wanted the Gshield v5 ( gShield v5 - Synthetos ) from synthetos but when the shipping is as much as the product itself I consithered looking for something cheaper.

I've seen many vids on youtube where people use the arduino nano and it works like a charm so I thought that would work just as fine!

But for some reason I cant get grbl on my arduino nano :/.
    I use the arduino IDE as it is supposed to work on the newest version and tried all that you're supposed to do and choose the grbl library and upload it etc..

Has anyone here used the nano for grbl or maybe even the same shield as i bought?

I hope i can get some help really good help, thanks in advance!
    And sorry if my english is a bit wierd :P I'm Swedish !

Re: arduino nano with grbl

Did you download the drivers for windows that are needed because that is not a genuine Arduino board. They are hardware drivers for the USB chip on the board. Here is a link to the probable driver

http://www.5v.ru/zip/ch341ser.zip

Also, you are supposed to select File|Examples|grbl|grblUpload. When the new window opens, make sure you have Tools|Board|Arduino Nano selected, and then check Tools|Port|comX where comX is the comm port the nano comes up on. Then hit the upload button.

Re: arduino nano with grbl

I know this thread is old, but I thought I would post some stuff that was found recently.

During testing I discovered that the USB to serial link on my Nano clones was occasionally screwing up. To not bore with all of the details, the USB to serial chip has ocasional problems when receiving data at the same time it is sending a response back to the host PC. It would drop some characters from the received g-code string. This is a big problem that can cause catastrophic results depending on what is dropped.

Testing showed that it was happening with the clone arduinos using the CH340G USB/Serial chip as well as the genuine arduinos with the Atmega 16u2 USB/Serial chip.

The bad news is that we have no way to fix the CH340G firmware, so the clones that use the ch340g chip I would deem as unsuitable for GRBL.

The good news is that the Atmega16U2 chip's firmware has been corrected by one of the guys that participates in the Github GRBL forum and he has made the updated firmware available. There is some indication that the problem doesn't occur on the 16u2 chip if set to 115200 baud, but I personally don't trust that by itself. The new firmware has been tested and works well. The new firmware will have to be flashed to the chip, but that is not really a problem.

The updated firmware is available at the link below along with the long version description of the problem. https://github.com/grbl/grbl/issues/845