585,581 active members*
3,798 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Coolant

Coolant

Hi.

I have a new Haas VF2SS and run mostly 5xxx and 6xxx aluminium and Pom-plastic, and ocationaly a part in stainles steel.

Wich coolant do you use and what do you recomend, what are your experiences, my machine seller recomended a mineral oil based emulsion coolant but its greasy and messy, so if there is a good alternative I want that instead.

Thanks in advance for you help.

//
    Fredrik

Re: Coolant

I'm a fan of synthetic coolants. Lasts far longer and doesn't smell bad. Only drawback that I can see is you can't tap as well. We use Castrol's Sytilo 9954

I have found that Castrol's Mb50 is the best I have used to date. it is not greasy and it does not get stinky. after 6 months of use I only had to add 3 gallons of coolant to keep the levels at 8 or above other than that just add water every other day .

hands down the best I have used

Like the two replies before mine, I use synthetic also. I have been using 9954 for years. It doesn't have any bio problems and tramp oil won't mix at all. My distributor says it is for ferrous and stainless and says there is another grade more for aluminum (I do a lot of aluminum) and implied that the 9954 will stain aluminum, but I have not see any of that. The stuff isn't cheap and I keep a 10% level in all my machines, VF2, HiT18 and the cold saw. I even keep lab wash bottles of it on the bridgeport and engine lathe for spot use.

Over the years we have gotten pretty good at rinsing our chips to reclaim as much of it as we can. We add water to the Haas with a watering can through the discharge horn. Chips will go in a big plastic tub with drain holes that sits in a tub without holes. We water the chips with a watering can and then use the draining for make-up. This make up water is about 2%. That is quite a savings!

Regards, Ray
    ​"There is no such thing as a gun free zone."
    Ray Brandes, Ray-Vin.Com, PCB, FL 32408 USA

This is what I switched to about 5 years ago. I really like it.
    QualiChem XTREME CUT 250C: Metal Fluids