584,812 active members*
5,480 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.
Page 3 of 11 12345

Re: Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

Hello Stutank,

Thank you again. I did change to radius mode which now gives me the correct results.

For feeds I used the calculator in Ezilathe. See attached. I know they were running these on a Mazak for us. Time was less than 5min including flipping the part and drilling and tapping the other end.

Attachment 308880

I think I am now to a point where I can do a dry run in the air. I will at least be able to determine if their calculated time is correct, if the feed speeds appear slow, or if the rapid feeds appear slow. I will let you know how it goes.

Hi Stutank,

When I click on Application I get the following message: C:\Ezilathe\Materialm.txt does not exist..Please Copy to C:\Ezilathe.

What did I do wrong.

Hoecken

When you Unzip the downloaded file, make certain that you Unzip to the Directory C:\Ezilathe. You should find 2 directories have been added to C:\Ezilathe, Sample Imperial and Sample metric.
    These directories include all the data files required including the materialm.txt. Copy the files from your preferred directory (imperial or metric) to the C:\Ezilathe directory.

This should get you going with example data close to your requirements.

Stutank,

I still don't understand. When I click on application should I not get a User Interface Screen?

hoecken

Yes you should. I assume that you have put the data files into place in C:\Ezilathe.
    Are you seeing anything, like an error message.

1 possibility that I can see if you are using a comma as the decimal separator, is an issue with data files as stated page 7 of the PDF

International Settings
    There are two data files that use CSV format (Lathetdat.txt and Materialm.txt). The default comma separator
    is not suitable where a comma is used as the Decimal Separator. Whereas Windows settings cover most
    areas, Before running program for the first time, the two datafiles need the commas replaced with the new
    field separator, and the 4th line in Ezilathe.cfg needs to be changed from "Z" to "SEP=" + new field
    separator i.e. "SEP=;" Please advise any issues, as not been tested here.

Note the new separator must be the 5th character (No spaces).

Please advise how you go.

Note that Ezilathe can start with only the materialm.txt file, as all others will be created from scratch (ignore the odd error message initially).
    You could delete the datafiles, and restart adding 1 by 1 (starting with materialm.txt).

Stutank,

This is what I get When I click on Application.Attachment 309224

The picture helps, I can see that your Directory name is incorrect (Ezlathe should be Ezilathe) otherwise correct (but still no setup files).

Please rename the directory.

You can see 2 directories have been added, Sample Imperial and Sample metric.
    These directories include all the data files required including the materialm.txt. Copy the files from your preferred directory (imperial or metric) to the C:\Ezilathe directory.
    Only the materialm.txt is required to run the program, but I would suggest that you copy all the files from your preferred directory, as this will get you up and running with a setup close to your requirements.

Please note that a Help file is available (the other Ezilathe file in your directory) and a .PDF is also available for download.

I changed the Directory to Ezilathe but still no Joy, I give up.

Hoecken

I assume you are getting the same error message. I also assume that you have still not copied the files from the sample directory to the working directory (C:\Ezilathe).

Until you do copy the required files (at least materialm.txt) to the working directory, all you will get is the error message which is correct operation of the program.

PLEASE COPY THE REQUIRED FILES TO THE WORKING DIRECTORY.

Stutank,

What is the Working Directory? All the files are extracted to C:\Ezilathe right now.

hoecken,
    What Stutank is trying to tell you is to copy the files from one of the sample directories to the main location where dzilathe.exe is located such as below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample directory.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	309484
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Hoecken

Attachment 309616

Thanks Bubba. Hopefully clarifies it.

The C:\Ezilathe Directory should end up looking something like this if you copy all the files from the sample directory to C:\Ezilathe.

Then it will work !!

The reason it is done this way is to include samples for both metric and Imperial installations, and to avoid overwriting existing date files when you download an update.

Stutank, Bubba,

I finally got it.

Thank you for your patience, all I need to do now is to figure out a project to use Ezilathe.

Hoecken

That's good. I hope you find it useful.

I have just Uploaded a minor Update, that addresses an Extents issue found in some CAD systems when exporting DXF files.
    Also included in update is improved Zoom function in DXF processor (Now the same as Simulator) and Simulator now processes equations.

A sample program (Multiple parts.rtf) is included in the Sample Metric directory (Move to Ezilathe directory and open via the favorites page).
    This is a demo of why equations can be useful.

Stutank - Thank you for the latest update to Ezilathe, glad to see that you are continuing with it's development. I am probably missing something, about parameters and expressions in G-code, but I would have thought that they were almost obsolete these days.

That said, the new version is great (I missed V1.5) many new and useful features. All my lathe programs are produced using Ezilathe, and have been for quite some time.
    Keep up the good work,

Dragon8
    Glad you like it.
    I do agree to a point that parameters / expressions are not often used these days, most programs being produced direct from a dxf.

However

There still are times when it is more efficient to program and run a program that is produced by hand. The sample program in the download is a good example of the type of thing that you would not code any other way.
    The program Turns the OD / Drills the hole and then parts off 4 relatively thin parts (washers) - Saves machine time in toolchanges.
    2 parameters are used - Component Width and Parting tool Width. These are used in the expressions to produce the coordinates. Saves a bit of time on the computer.
    I've been doing a lot of this sort of thing (washers, spacers, nuts etc) recently, hence the update.

Stutank-its been a while since the last update, hope you are still continuing with the program development. I've been doing a few air-cooled engine cylinders recently. Ezilathe does the job well if you modify the dxf to compensate for tool width. It would be good if this sort of work could be produced directly using Ezilathe, as similar work seems to be coming up more these days. Hope you still want suggestions for Ezilathe.

Yes. Still alive, and wanting suggestions. Assuming I do not need to patch the downloaded version for any reason, the next version should have what you want.
    Currently working on "Trepanning" using sharp or button style tools with width and radius compensation. Time has been short recently, but will keep on it.
    Once this is done, and working right, the work done is 95% of what is required for your finned cylinders etc.
    Will try and include both when ready, but no date yet.

Hello Stutank,
    I've been using your program more and more as I finally spend more time with my lathe. I do have a question/issue though.

I can import a DXF file, successfully convert it to G-code, and successfully run that code in your simulation tab. However, when I take that code to my control, I have to change all G02 references to G03 for it to run. If I change it in your program right away and try to simulate, it obviously will not render correctly, so I always have to remember to change it after I simulate.

Until the other day, I just used it like that. Taking time for a deeper look, I find that my control would recognize the G02 just fine IF I had my control set for tooling behind the spindle, which I do not and can not. So, it would seem that Mach3 somehow handles your code creation methods fine for lathe, but mine not.

Curious as to what is the most common accepted way, I opened the code in two other G-code simulators. Out of the box with default settings, they too require me to change your G02's to G03 in order to render properly, however, one of these simulators (NCPlot) has an option to "reverse arc commands", so I can adjust preferences such that it will read the G02 as a G03.... But that does not necessarily help at my control. So, I almost conclude then that G02 is not really correct for front tooling, even though it seems Mach3 does not mind it ?

Too, I wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that in EziLathe, one SELECTS dxf path detail at the TOP of the drawing which sort of reflects a rear tool holder, and that is why the G-code inserts G02 (and somehow Mach3 does not care)?

I have used my old cantankerous VectorCadCam program to create lathe code from the same DXF files and that program only works if you select your path from the bottom of the dxf path. It then correctly inserts G03 for that same operation, but there are plenty of other things that make Ezilathe a much, MUCH better choice to use.

So, I wondered...... has there ever been any discussion about this ? Is there any ability set your program to "reverse arc commands" like my NCplot program can when it creates the code (as well as allow simulation)? Sure, changing them is not hard,.... just annoying if you have to go back and forth with making adjustments.

Other than that, Ezilathe just might be the best kept secret out there ! Thanks !
    Chris L

Page 3 of 11 12345