584,846 active members*
4,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.
Page 5 of 11 34567

Re: Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

Thanks, Think I have it
    I had a Boxford 160TCL and now the larger 240 so working in the same co-ordinate system space as you. So know the mental gymnastics, of having a "rear" tool-post, reversing the arcs, M4 turn, M3 drill/bore which is actually not inverted, since these are TCL and which to show the operator the cutting action rather than clear swarf with a proper inverted tool. Happy with a M4 parting tool. I guess if you stick to programming only lathes of a similar style then this not an issue and do the mental flip that as CW view, draw and note the tool geometry from below. I will programme a few more simple parts, cut some air and then some soft Aluminium and reinforce the learn by doing.

Have you used a fixed tool position on the lower end of the X slide ( the early 125 had no turrent, just a tooling array on the cross slide) and so cut conventional in front of the stock with M3 ?

Never bothered with an extra Toolpost, by now used to working from the top and using M4 for most turning, or M3 with inverted tool for Screwcutting. Not having a toolchanger, also not an issue, as faster without and the Dickson Toolpost is good and repeatable. Ezilathe helps here with times stated for each tool, I know when I can run off to make a cup of Tea.

Stutank. Thank you for Ezilathe, still covers all I need for lathe support. However you seem to have a "bug" in screwcutting. When using imperial settings the pitch used in G76 is metric (G32 seems to be ok).

Thanks for that. A very old piece of code from before there was an imperial mode, now fixed.

The next version is progressing, and this bug fix is included in the new version, that includes some new features including cutting left to right (finally).

Fantastic! I think the left to right , if it lets us cut left right left right... will be a big help and make it way more productive.

Planebuilder - Sorry, it does not do what you wish currently, as it would limit the tool shapes you could use.

However, if your programs are anything like mine that you cut, by far the greatest time saving is to remove as many non-cutting moves done at feed.
    The major example of this is the tool retract to the safe diameter at the end of the cut. By default done at feed in case of a tool undercutting a shoulder, but can be done at rapid in many cases depending on tool shape and work piece.

To make this simple, the last two versions uploaded had a new check-box to allow the tool retract at rapid, saves time, but need to know what you are doing.
    More overrides will be added in future versions such as only retracting to minimum dia instead of standard retract to Material dia + Clearance.
    Possibly an override such as your request could be added (it has been noted), but currently my priority is to get all planned features working (and bug free).

Hope this helps.

Stutank. Just found the new video on Youtube, Is this an example of what can be done with the new version, and do you have a release date yet. Looks good, I assume you can do almost anything with this mode, including what Planebuilder was asking for.

Yes. The Video reflects what can be done with the new version, and is just 1 of the updates included. This feature was the result of a user request to address a particular requirement. The Polyline Follower does just that, it follows the the polyline 9or polylines) from start to finish, with Rough cuts generated simply by offsetting the polyline in "X" only.
    Other features include Cutting Left to Right, but not an alternating L-R R-L cut (could be fiddled with the above).

When will it be Finished ? - I do not know at this point, still undecided on some features (Interface issues mainly) and some very persistant but minor bugs.

Possibly could upload as a beta version, leaving the tried / tested and documented version available.

I have just uploaded a new version under Downloads/Post Files/Ezilathe Beta Version called Ezilathe1630.exe. This version has many new features and fixes, but is only partially tested for bugs (takes too long these days).
    Major new features are cut direction and Polyline Follower, all will be covered in a new PDF to be Uploaded soon, but worth a play. Selection of entities is as before (new dialog box however), but note the following

All modes except Polyline follower
    - Dialog box as before opened using speedbutton between page tabs.
    - Select / Deselect single entities on screen
    - To select Complete Polyline use Dialog box and check in the box beside polyline description.
    - Only allows 1 Polyline to be selected, and will clear any current selections.

Polyline follower Only
    - Dialog box as before opened using speedbutton between page tabs.
    - To select Complete Polyline use Dialog box and check in the box beside polyline description.
    - Allows Multiple Polylines to be selected, and will not clear any current selections
    - Select / Deselect single entities on screen. (Adds to or Subtracts from Polylines)
    - If only 1 polyline in DXF, Dialog will not show, polyline automatically selected.

Note Lines / Arcs can be included in Polyline follower, but not recommended as directions are not sorted in other modes. This may not work as expected.

It has taken a while, but a new version of Ezilathe has just been posted. The new version has major bug fixes especially to std turn and grooving functions.
    Also a new PDF Manual has been posted.

New Version of Ezilathe has just been posted (Ezilathe V1.6.4.4) under Ezilathe Beta Download in the Downloads / Other files section.

Includes :-
    Many Bug fixes

Improved Polyline support with new Dialog, Reverse loading, and New Trepanning mode for polylines.
    A Wizard to support 3 axis Lathe (Main Spindle indexing, and milling head) Have a look at YouTube Video "Boxford125 3axis Mach3"

Gotta say, I'm really looking forward to being able to use this software - I'm still in the process of planning my CNC conversion, but I've mainly been held up by the lack of decent lathe toolpathing options out there at an acceptable price. Imagine my delight when I see some actively developed software that's at the best price of all

GerryG. I hope that Ezilathe works well for you. I still check out other options, but Ezilathe still works the way I want. It probably helps me that if I have a need, I just build it into Ezilathe.

I note that you have to-date only Downloaded 1 file, You need more at this time.

The last 2 entries under "post files" are
    1) "Ezilathe" currently V1.6.4.0 complete with all the required files, you need to unzip to C:\Ezilathe, and copy the files from the Sample Imperial or Sample Metric to your C:\Ezilathe directory.
    2) "Ezilathe User Guide" PDF format guide the same as the included help file above.

After all that, Unzip the "Ezilathe Beta Version" (Ezilathe.Exe Version 1.6.4.4) to the same directory to overwrite the older Ezilathe.exe (Version 1.6.4.0).

The newer version has seen a lot of work done in the area of bug fixes, but also improved Polyline handling including reverse loading. (Some cad system seem to have a fixed direction for polylines)

Loving the latest version, the processing of polylines seems to do just about everything that is needed, makes me wonder if some of the functions are now obsolete. I see that the polyline functions still allow individual lines and arcs, is there a problem here.

Some functions may become redundant in time, However most still have value at times. Certainly the polyline functions have worked out very well, and have eliminated many issues.
    Yes lines/arcs can be selected under polyline functions, BUT as no sorting/direction changes are done, can lead to some very strange results, but it does have it's usage however.
    Polyline(s) can be selected as a whole, and added to or subtracted from. Any gaps between segments will result in tool retracting to safe point, and rapid to start of next segment.
    This is in contrast to other functions that will machine in a straight line across gaps. Use the function that suits best.

Hi Stu,

Thank you again for making this available as it is very much appreciated.

Not sure if I missed it in the thread somewhere, but when using the DXF Processing section of Ezilathe, is there a way to select all line segments/arcs in order from right to left, automatically? Clicking each one is a little hard for me as it's hard to see the change in color on my monitor and I end up selecting them out of order time after time. Does that make sense?

Thanks so much,
    Dave
    Dave->..

Dave

Yes, that makes sense. If you draw in Arcs/Lines, I can make them all go the correct way (Left to Right etc), but I cannot select all and sort them.
    However if you convert your entities to polylines in your Cad program (1 Continuous polyline preferred, but not vital), they can be then selected as one using the Selection Dialog box.
    The button to the left of "Show Grid" opens this box, which will be populated with all polylines in your DXF. This button is disabled if no polylines included.

Creating Polylines helps as you can be sure that all segments are joined and in order. The polyline must be going the way you want, if not, simply reselect with the "Reverse Polyline" Checkbox Checked.
    Let me know how you go, I could adjust your DXF to Polylines if Required.

As for the next version (1.7) - Getting close, many improvements to all areas.

Thank you for the in-depth help, Stu, and I also appreciate the speedy reply!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Dave-
    Dave->..

Stutank, Just found Ezilathe, getting my head into it.....

However, I was wondering if the G76 and G32 strings could somehow be exposed so that Parameter letters could be changed automatically (via maybe a settings tab)?

The reason why I ask is to allow for Mach4 which has a different block structure

Format: G76 X__ Z__ I__ K__ D__ A__ P__ F__?

Must admit, I have not thought about Mach4 in a long time. Just downloaded the programming manual, and will read it (81 pages! thanks for that).
    Nearly ready to release new version (Documentation, and a couple of bugs to fix), not likely to add much Mach4 to it, but certainly will add as a priority in future releases.
    However will try to add some provision for Mach4 (New setting) and maybe can adjust G76 if not too much work at this stage.
    Have you tried the G32, with a quick look, it seems to be un-changed

Page 5 of 11 34567