584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.
Page 1 of 11 123

Hybrid View

Cool Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

I've only been on this forum for a week now, and already getting good value.
    Hiding in the "Downloads/Post File" section of tis forum is a program for download called "Ezilathe".

I am saving hours using this program to generate / test Gcode for my CNC lathe. It may not be a full blown CAM program, but it will put a toolpath around a dxf file as you direct, quick and easy (including all the roughing cuts). With a little time setting up your tool library it will accurately display the finished profile for acceptance or modification as required.

Check it out.

Re: Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

I hope you are still liking EziLathe. I have just uploaded a new version (V1.3) to the downloads section under post files that has many bug fixes and improvements.

New features include G32 threading, and a printed worksheet to aid in setting up the CNC lathe.
    Many bug fixes including to the DXF processor, and various editors.

I'm trying to use Ezilathe V1.3 however I'm running into issues. I'm creating my geometry using AutoCAD 2011 and have tried saving the dxf file using R12 to 2011 formats. The Chess piece keeps getting an error message stating "selected entity must have positive diameter". The ring geometry keeps getting crazy tool paths that cut into the bar stock. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. I've tried using Ezilathe, Lazyturn and cad2lathe with limited success.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

I've checked out your dxf and jpgs and have found a couple of bugs in the processing (as at version 1.3.0.0). Now version 1.3.0.5 with many fixes to imperial file processing.

Bishop section - the error message about positive dia - fixed in later version (used min dia as 0.1, thinking metric, now 0.0001).
    Z origin should be 0 not 2.2 for best results (produces some odd offsets in radii).
    Adjusted your dxf Z origin, and all processes OK (in latest version). (You will need to check tools used, LH & RH sharp V tool needed) refer jpg, note some undercutting when using 35 deg diamond carbide tool.

Test Ring 3 - Z origin should be at 0 for best results (See Facing below). I have an issue with the last radius, that I cannot see yet, but the finished profile processes correctly.
    The strange cuts are due to an error in offsetting that last radius (for final rough cut). To get you going, try deleting the final rough cut, as it is hardly required.
    However I will have to work on this (and another minor bug I have just found). If not fixed this week, I will upload new version as is on weekend.

Facing - Facing (via the DXF processor) is problematic at the start of a program, for many reasons, and is probably best avoided, and just add a couple of lines of code manually (or copy from favorites).

Another question.
    I have a DXF file which the cad program says is a continuous polyline.

When I import the file into Ezilathe it is split up into line segments.
    There are 201 segments and my eyes are not good enough to pick them in sequence (Arcs especially)

I have tried to drag a box around them but no result.
    Is there a way to select all lines ?

Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something ?

I have just uploaded the new version of Ezilathe. Many improvements and updates included.
    The DXF processor now processes up to 400 entities, should be enough I hope.

Got it I think.
    I had the front of the workpiece/ drawing at Z5.0.

I moved the Z to Z0.0 and it compiled the code.
    Well impressed.
    Looking for ward to running the program at the weekend.

I am also an Ezilathe user and it is now my preferred G code generator and editor for CNC lathe. It has a CAD drawing option which is simple and intuitive and works well. The threading utility is also simple and logical and shows both imperial and metric dimensions on the same panel. It is a breeze compared with Mach 3's threading setup.
    Being fairly new to CNC, I struggled with Mach3 Turn and this little Ezilathe program has been a godsend. Amazingly, it is free!

Quote Originally Posted by oliomio View Post
    I am also an Ezilathe user and it is now my preferred G code generator and editor for CNC lathe. It has a CAD drawing option which is simple and intuitive and works well. The threading utility is also simple and logical and shows both imperial and metric dimensions on the same panel. It is a breeze compared with Mach 3's threading setup.
    Being fairly new to CNC, I struggled with Mach3 Turn and this little Ezilathe program has been a godsend. Amazingly, it is free!

Yes. Nice, well kept secret to date.

I hope someone, or the developer, will share a tool database file as for one, there are almost too many lathe tool variables to insert by hand, and frankly, I still do not understand all of what the dimension variables mean in the tooling dialog windows.

I know..... I need to find more time for in depth study.
    Chris L

Trouble is that there are just too many possibilities for the many tools available. But I imagine that Stutank would pass on his own tool database if asked. You could modify it for your own tools.
    I find that Stutank is very helpful with answering queries. And often the answers to my questions are in the help files, or if they are not there to start with, they end up there.

Perhaps I should write him.

I'd be thrilled with the common triangle inserts as used in the equally common 7-9 applications based on holder used. So far, I've only installed a 1/8" wide cut-off... it's been enough to allow me to try the program and see the results in the simulator.

MOST of my problem really does surround not just taking the time necessary because I have so many other irons in the fire. I converted my Denford over a year ago and still have not really made anything substantial !
    Chris L

I have edited the initial string to give me a G54.
    Removed the G28 from the exit string.
    Saved the edits.
    Working even better now thanks.

One thing puzzles me.
    When I save the compiled G code I cannot find it.

I can see it in the save window when in Ezilathe.
    When I look in the folder it is not there.
    If I do a search it is not found.

I have to right click and copy.
    Open a new file and paste.

Probably me doing something stupid.
    Been running CNC for more than 25 years and still have a lot to learn.
    Thanks for your time,

Stutank.
    It worked for me, very happy.

I use a work offset, so I had to add a G54 at the start of the program.

The only thing I had a problem with was the G28 at the end of the program.
    If you are turning between centers it will try to send the Z home through the tailstock.

I will be running it again today.
    Happy turning.

I have looked at allowing for selecting complete polylines - Currently trying a simple method that works well for open polylines (closed - work depending on where it starts and ends).
    I could just upload a quick update to allow for this soon, rather than wait for a "bullet proof version". It just means some closed polylines will need to be rebuilt (Close the line away from the required section) to work well.

Even the simple method automatically rejects invalid segments, and will reverse the polyline if required for turning. The polyline is left in the selection box as individual segments for manual adjustment if required.

Stryke23x

Glad you got it working, even with a few simple issues.

1) Comments are not vital, they can be deleted, better to do a global search / replace in Ezilathe or other text editor to replace ( with /. Should be all that's required.

2) I assume your Ezilathe is setup for Diameter mode, and Turnmaster set for Radius mode. This mode must match in both, and that will correct the Double size in X. In Ezilathe, Pick Options from the top menu and tick Radius mode. Should be similar in Turnmaster if you want to go that way instead.

3) In Ezilathe feeds are expected to be in inches/min or mm/min. I assume you are working in Inches, so F30 seems a bit fast, that could upset Ezilathes times. Ezilathe does not use feeds in anyway other than for times, so you can "Lie" to it. Take care not to put in something too fast into Turnmaster. Steps/sec seem to be strange way to specify feed, You need to get this right before putting a job in the lathe.

The simulation you show looks good, so you do not have any major issues other than the above. You should review what setup / exit & toolchange code is required by your system. This can then be entered into Ezilathe (Under the Speeds / Feeds tab in the Lathe setup - See init strings etc).

Your System can generate G code programs, so you should be able to use the setup code from these to setup Ezilathe.

Hope this Helps.

ajarn al

Glad you got it working, and hope you have a good weekend with it.
    For some reason, with the origin off 0 in Z I do get some strange results as well, I will get to sorting that out soon.
    With the origin at 0, there should be no strange issues, if there are, please post the dxf and I will fix (hopefully).
    It may be free, but it is supported here!

The Tool editor is an important section of the program, allowing good visualisation of your work in the simulator. The editor allows for not only the standard insert types, but anything you are likely to use on the lathe. The key to using the editor, is to get the graphic up in the window as soon as possible, and from then on make a change, and move off a field (Mouse, Enter key or Arrow keys) to see the updated graphic.

To start a tool from scratch (Default = Right Hand Turn, and all zeros in numeric fields).
    Uncheck "Lathe tool disabled"
    Enter say 4mm [0.160"] in "Max Cutting Depth" - (usually good for most purposes, on a small to med lathe)
    Enter 60 (for triangle insert) in "Inc angle deg" field - usually the insert included angle typically 90,80,60,55,32 etc.

If the above is done, the graphic should be now showing a view from above on a conventional lathe of your basic tool (Tool type MTGNR).

Next Try in "Lead Angle deg" - 3 for Tool type MTJNR or -30 (note minus) for tool type MTENN.

Next put a "Tip Radius" into field say 0.2mm [0.008"], graphic will show radius with crosshairs (the controlled point) through the center.
    Correct the controlled point with Z and X offset (Just enter + or - radius as required.

The pictures show additional common types.

I Hope this helps, thank you for your interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool1.JPG   Tool2.JPG  

Thank you for the quick tutorial. It is what I assumed, but I thought I was doing something wrong because when I play with dimensions, my full tool view goes off the screen such that I can no longer see exactly what I did. I've included two screen shots, one where your example fits and works (image on the right), then one just with the lead angle increased (left image).

You'll note that suddenly the zero point moves right, the right view/edge of the tool moves out of view and the window is not resizable.

The center drill settings throw me a bit because Max Cutting Depth needs to be much longer than you would actually apply.....If I put in an actual maximum cutting depth for this type of tool (which I was doing), You get a really funky looking tool. This is fine because you then know something is wrong, but..... leads me to believe that this setting alters width of tools other than drills.

Biggest confusion for me initially is that I can not always see the whole tool I am making changes to for some reason. Not sure why the zero point cross hairs do not stay over towards the left side of the screen.

What am I doing wrong ?
    Chris L

You are not doing anything wrong, that I can see. The tool display moving to the right as the top edge of the tool approaches level, is something I have not noticed before, and I will need to look at it (a bug !!!). Center drills / drills etc - Yes, if max cutting depth is too short, it can distort the tool. My BS-1 center drill this was 8. Bigger drills make it longer, it is only cosmetic for drills, no other effect.

Max cutting depth is more than cosmetic only (in the tool editor) for Turning / Boring tools. Less than rough cut depth leaves strips of material showing in simulator, and too large for boring, takes out the back side of bore in simulator. No effect on lathe.

However, there are times when this can be useful. I often have to screwcut close to a shoulder, If Max cutting depth is entered as = Z distance from tool edge to point / Tan(Half thread angle) then Tool will display in simulator with correct projected width, allowing accurate avoidance of hitting shoulder.
    for example 4mm wide tool (2mm shoulder to point) on 60 Deg thread = 2 / Tan(30) = 3.464 Max cutting depth.

I did reply yesterday during a thunderstorm, I think it must have joined Dorothy.

I will try again during todays thunderstorm.

Yes the edits to the start and exit blocks are saved.
    Yes the missing programs show up in 'Recent files' and can be opened.
    If I search using 'All programs and files' in the start screen there are no results found.

No, I do not have Mach 3 on this computer.
    Windows 7 .txt file.

Not a big panic as my file sizes are very small for now.
    Just curious as to what is happening or not happening.

Page 1 of 11 123