584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.
Page 6 of 11 45678

Re: Ezilathe, a useful aid to lathe programming.

I have just Uploaded the New Version (!.7.1) to the Downloads/Other section. Full download and PDF downloads now on page #2. (Beta version is the same, but EXE only, & on page 1)

Download, Unzip to C:\Ezilathe or a temporary directory (if updating), and copy the files required to the C:\Ezilathe.
    This version has many changes / corrections that should help in the generation of G-code for your lathe.
    Please follow the PDF (Separate download) to assist.

Mach4 - Now supported at least in Basic form.
    Generates G-code from DXF's and Simulates. - Tried on Mach4 No Issues.
    G32 & G76 Threading - Working, but some issues on my Lathe with Mach4 (Early days however, issues could be me).
    G32 will not simulate, But runs on lathe - Pullout not as expected ???
    I note the example in Mach4 Lathe programming guide simply pulls out with G00. Hardly a Thread run-out.
    G76 Simulates / Runs, but Cuts with half the expected passes. (Try Double in Ezilathe)
    All threading - Spindle is not stable, seems to cut-out at start of thread.
    That said, Double checked all my code, seems to be correct, but a few questions.
    Note that all example date supplied is mainly Mach3, However the 2nd Configured lathe is set as per my testing of mach4, and has good G codes for mach4.

Stutank. How are you going using Mach4, just wondering if worth updating at this time.

Dragon8. Mach4 (Especially Lathe) still seems to be a work in progress (Like all good things, i.e. Ezilathe). Mach3 has served me very well, over the years, so not a lot of incentive to change.
    That said, I think we will all be on Mach4, as that is where the development is going. I bought my copy of Mach4 to develop Ezilathe, but it will probably end up on my Mill first.

As for Ezilathe, Mach4 is now available from Ezilathe for most usage. I had a few hardware issues with screwcutting, but now resolved. I will soon post an update for Ezilathe, once I have (Think I have) everything right, and checked out on my Lathe.

I have just Uploaded the New Version (!.7.2) to the Downloads/Other section. Full download and PDF downloads now on page #2. (Beta version is the same & on page 1)

Download, Unzip to C:\Ezilathe or a temporary directory (if updating), and copy the files required to the C:\Ezilathe.
    This version has many changes / corrections that should help in the generation of G-code for your lathe.
    Please follow the PDF (Separate download) to assist.

Mach4 Support has been extended, and is working well.
    Screwcutting under Mach4 - G76 Fully functional, but Number of cuts on machine not as expected. Dry run first, but My end of things is correct. G32 works well, but Alternate flank infeeds not implemented yet.

Stutank
    I have noticed that sometimes loosing the rough cuts in O.D. Turning. Missing the ability to extend the cut beyond the dxf file. Otherwise all good that I have been using, especially the updates to polling processing.

Hey Stu,
    Thanks so much for EZILATHE. Downloaded 1.7.2.0 and have been using it daily to get familiar with all it will do. Waiting for parts for my mini lathe conversion and your software is going to be a giant help. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but after opening my DXF and selecting the line I want to created G-Code for, my code will actually generate for the entire part (not the selected section). Is there someway to tell Ezilathe to only generate code for the selected section? I've watched all the videos and read through the documentation and have not found anything that address this. Again, many thanks for EZILATHE and look forward to hearing from you...

Stutank, Thanks for Ezilathe, nice simple programme.

I'm dabbling with Mach4, and was wondering if there was a way to maybe be able to link the G/M Code List to an external file, that way a user could populate it for Mach4, Mach3 or Linuxcnc etc? (as some of the G-codes in Mach4 are not the same as Mach3...)

I noticed that there was a file called "Multiple Parts.rtf" that included some conversational gcode, I was wondering if there was a plan to maybe allow this to be visible via a tab / tabs as I've been dabbling with the LinuxCNC conversational gcode routines so it would be nice to be able to access these centrally and allowing them to be inserted into a program. https://forum.linuxcnc.org/lathe-subroutines-library

It would be nice if one could add inserts easily to the tool table via code or something like that.

I am not a big user and just a hobbist of one so am more than happy with what Ezilathe does, so thanks for making it freely available.

Dragon8.
    Sorry, Just found your Query, it's been a while. I found an issue where rough cuts were sometimes missing when the job started with an Arc. Hopefully this is your issue. This has been corrected, together with some other issues, but not yet downloaded. I will finalize this next update, and download before Christmas. Please let me know if this fixes your issue.

Kfashby2020.
    When you draw using "Polylines" Ezilathe will select the whole line by default when you pick any part of it. This is done to allow simple selection of complex parts (over 100 entities not uncommon). With the polyline selected (Highlighted in red on screen), you can deselect individual entities, by selecting them again. Please note that your drawing can consist of multiple polylines (or just Lines / Arcs if that suits). If you select Multiple separate polylines with gaps in-between, Ezilathe is designed to retract to safe X, rapid traverse to the next polyline and cut that. hope this helps.

Robertspark.
    Not sure what version of Ezilathe you are using, however later versions support Mach4 (including screwcutting). To change from Mach3 to 4, go to main menu options, and check Mach4 (Might also need to change reverse arc generation as well). Initialization / exit code will need to be adjusted in the Speeds / Feeds and lathe details. The init and exit strings are automatically entered into your G-code and need to be changed for Mach4.
    The other RTF file (favorites.rtf) is the source file for the "Favorites page tab". This contains useful and reusable code fragments that can be copy/pasted into your g-code (with or without edits). Very handy for drilling / tapping / parting etc. The favorites tab is a fully functional editor, simply edit as required and save as favorites.rtf (To always come up by default) or as a different name to load manually for a specific purpose.

Thanks Stu for the response. I have using lines and polylines and still get the same results. What I am asking is there a way to tell Ezilathe to only generate code for the selected line or polyline segment. When I select the line or segment I want code generated for, the program generated code for the entire part. I have managed to work around this by making separate drawings for each cut of the part. Do I need to layer my drawings and does Ezilathe accept layered drawing for separate task? Again...THANKS for creating EZILATHE, it really is a help to us turners.

I have just uploaded the new version of Ezilathe (V1.7.3.0) that corrects a number of issues with the generation of rough cuts in the standard Turn mode. Under some circumstances, no rough cuts were generated, and in others rough cuts were extended beyond where they should be.

The Updates are now available through the downloads section.
    For a new installation -
    Downloads/Others/Ezilathe (File Ezilathe173Full.zip) contains the complete installation.

For an update only, requiring only the Executable and the help file -
    Downloads/Others/Ezilathe Beta version (File Ezilathe173exe.zip).

Kfashby2020.
    A bit of a mystery this! Is it possible that the bug above is effecting you?
    Points that may help pin this down -
    1) Are you entering the stock diameter - This controls where the Rough cuts Start.
    2) When you select a line on screen, it should turn "Red", and it's ID should show in the list-box (on the right, half way down)
    3) When you select a polyline on screen should be the same as above, Unless Direction set to "Follow Poly", in which case the whole of that polyline will select and show as above.
    4) Selecting whole polylines also works from the Button / dialog box. In this case, the polyline may be selected in either direction.
    5) Anything selected, may be deselected on screen (Singly) The red line showing, will return to black, and the ID will be removed from the list-box.
    6) Everything selected can be removed using the "Clear all selections" Speed-button.
    7) When Direction is "Follow Poly" and the "Finish Cut Depth" is set to zero (Box is highlighted in Yellow) only a single cut is generated.

If the above does not help, then I need to see the DXF you are using and / or a screen shot, and see if I can get the same effect as You.

Thanks for the update Stu,

Thanks again Stu... I will take a look tonight and update you on what I find. Again, it might be something I'm doing or not doing. Regardless of the results I find this program has been a great help to this new CNC world for an ole machinist.

Just uploaded an update to the "Ezilathe Beta Version" under Downloads/Others.
    A couple of corrections to Boring, and an additional function to support Rear Toolposts.
    This is the first version off a new compiler + compiled without debug info.
    Exe has been renamed, so avoid overwriting the existing version. just run Ezilathe1731.

Hi Stutank,

Thank you for the earlier feedback. I cant seem to get the Gcode to truncate within the stock diameter of 32 mm. Can you advice what i am doing wrong ?

Hi Stutank,

I managed to combine OD turning and ID boring with Ezilathe 1.7.3. The results is as shown. I finally get what you meant by, "DXF needs only a single line from 0,8 to -6,8 (or the reverse will do) to produce the result ". I did just that and drew a single line representing the intended bore diameter (2 mm) and depth (-6 mm) from Z = 0. I did however mod the Boring Tool - Small HSS to have a min bore diameter to make it "fit" the bore hole. I checked the gcode and it was as expected. i am very excited and happy. Just wondering what happened to the material stock in the simulation ?

Rengan77.
    In the first of your posts, you have apparently selected the same (or similar) pline twice. I can see this from the first thumbnail where the listing shows id 20,11,12,13,14,15 etc, and the gcode repeats the same cut. You must select segments in the sequence you will cut, and only once. Note - the red showing in the simulator, is where the material has been hit during a rapid traverse. Need to see the dxf to suggest whats happening.
    In the second post, the missing material on the shoulder is due to the profile of the tool selected undercutting the material (22 deg LH tool). To prove this point go to tool editor and disable the tool. Simulate again and there will be no undercut as the simulation now uses a no-rad tool of Zero width. The undercut shown is realistic for the tool used at this point (and note, also at the radius). The reason for the min bore diameter is to warn when you try to fit a boring tool in a hole that is too small. The yellow is what material will be removed with the boring tool in question.
    You will need to pre-drill for boring operations, and 2mm bore is a little small, just drill if possible.
    The attached is a very similar file I have, and it cuts exactly as shown (with the tools specified).

Hi Stutank,

Firstly thank you for your reply. I am responding to your reply on "the first of your posts, "

I am still getting the same result, even after I regenerated the dxf. I am again probably doing something wrong.

Could you take a look at the attached dxf and other files to see if the reason I am not getting it ? I have attached the supporting items you may need;

A. Segments I selected for the polyline OD turning
    Chess Pawn 1 segment set 1.png and Chess Pawn 1 segment set 2.png

B.The simulation of generated gcode
    Chess Pawn 1 simulation simulation of generated gcode.png

C.GCODE : Chess Pawn 1-OD Turning Polyline Issue.txt

D.dxf file:Chess Pawn 1.dxf

Hi Stutank

Noted on your reply on the second item post. I used the boring bar to to see how it behaves. I was trying to see if i can manipulate the boring bar to mimic a micro boring bar. I get what you mean. Thank you sir

Hi Stutank,

I utterly enjoy using Ezilathe and really look forward to explore more. I was wondering can it support face profiling ?

I cannot find a suitable tool in the library other than boring bar and trepanning tool which have its shanks parallel to the spindle axis for this purpose. I also think this function is not yet available in Ezilathe ?

i decided to try using trepanning tool and function with polyline to try and see what is the outcome. Attached are the simulation. Can you let me know how do I go about "face profiling" ?

thanks
    rengan

Rengan77.
    Glad you are enjoying Ezilathe, looks like you are into chess pieces (Many users are).
    The tool list supplied with Ezilathe is based on mine that I have used on my lathe. Tools may be modified or new ones produced as required. With a boring tool, you need to keep the Min Bore Dia and the Max cutting depth in step as this is the projected width of the cutting edge (Not the "Reach"). Not sure what you mean by "Face Profiling" if it is not trepanning. You can always supply a DXF of the type of thing you wish to cut. Possibly a simple change could help with it.

Page 6 of 11 45678