585,752 active members*
4,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper motor direction.

Hi members,
    i have just built a second stepper motor driver, the first one runs a router and is running ok.
    Chinese stepper motor drivers 24V - 50Vdc, measured voltage 48Vdc. LPT1 port1 enabled

The new one is proving a bit of a problem, the stepper motors only want to run one way regardless of pressing the + or - button on my keypad or the Mach3 on screen MPG and is the same for all axes.
    The new stepper driver pinouts are set exactly as the first one i built so all should work.
    The same stepper motor drivers as the first one i made. Measured voltage in use 24Vdc
    Different Pc but LPT1 port enabled. New cable wires straight through pin 1-1, 2-2 etc.

Can anyone offer a bit of advise.
    Thanks in anticipation

Re: Stepper motor direction.

It's a bit hard to advice on self built drivers, but maybe try changing DIR pulse length (microseconds) in Mach settings..
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Re: Stepper motor direction.

Measure the voltage on the direction pin at the driver.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by regpugh View Post
    Hi members,
    i have just built a second stepper motor driver, the first one runs a router and is running ok.
    Chinese stepper motor drivers 24V - 50Vdc, measured voltage 48Vdc. LPT1 port1 enabled

The new one is proving a bit of a problem, the stepper motors only want to run one way regardless of pressing the + or - button on my keypad or the Mach3 on screen MPG and is the same for all axes.
    The new stepper driver pinouts are set exactly as the first one i built so all should work.
    The same stepper motor drivers as the first one i made. Measured voltage in use 24Vdc
    Different Pc but LPT1 port enabled. New cable wires straight through pin 1-1, 2-2 etc.

Can anyone offer a bit of advise.
    Thanks in anticipation
    You insist on building them yourself, and you mention they are chinese made ??????
    More details please, like if you connect the other drive to that computer does everything work properly? if yes, move on to troubleshooting the drives, not mach3.
    On chinese drives check for pinouts always, same drives even from same manufacturers have different pinouts on diferent revision boards.
    Also do change the timing on mach3 for direstion and step as it might be the optocouplers on the board are slower.
    As sugested by James, measure the voltage on the dir pins at the board, if you don't have a multimeter, find an LED and atach a 100-470 ohm resistor to it in series, it will do the job perfectly for testing the outputs.
    There is one more posibility, but it is more dificult and risky: find the 5V rail on the board and using a 100-330 ohm resistor connect it to dir pin, use a other one for doing the same to step pin by repeatedly touching and disconnecting so you can observe if the motor changes direction. While doing this, have the paraport cable disconnected.