585,885 active members*
6,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > BUILDING A MACHINE AND NEED ADVICE ON 3 AXIS KIT

BUILDING A MACHINE AND NEED ADVICE ON 3 AXIS KIT

Hi everyone,

I am building a 32 x 27 x 5 machine and I am almost ready for the electronics and motors. I was looking at this setup but I am not sure what I actually need for this size machine. I will be running Solidworks,MasterCAM X4 and Mach 3. Here is what I had in mind. Please tell me if this is sufficient for my machine or if I am way off base. Thank you all in advance.

Re: BUILDING A MACHINE AND NEED ADVICE ON 3 AXIS KIT

Really? Nobody? Does it help if I show you this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	275358

Depending on how you plan to drive the Y axis, you may need 2 motors on it to keep that axis from "rocking". I would call those motors too small, but I tend to overpower everything. They'd probably work, but not too well.

Thank you for responding. The Y axis is pretty solid actually and doesn't rock at all. What would you recommend for a motor size if these are too small? I am trying to keep a reasonable budget for this machine. Believe it or not the that gantry is not that heavy at all.

What screws are you planning on?

What kind of speeds or resolution are you expecting?

These are important variables.

I used these screws (1018 Carbon Steel Precision ACME fast travel Threaded Rod 1/2"-10 Size, 1/2" Travel/Turn, Right-Hand Thread, 5 Starts) with good anti backlash nuts and couplers. I don't expect this machine to be incredibly fast but I don't want it to take an eon to one part either. I would like it to be as accurate as possible of course but since it is my first CNC and I am just learning how to use it I would imagine I have a lot to learn before I need to be super concerned with resolution. Or is that way off base and should be worried about it right off the bat?

That's a good screw choice.

I have always gone the way of a proven kit, even if 3x the price of the cheapest available option.

for example, 3-Axis DIY Nema 23 Electronics Kit | CNCRouterParts is $540, but you will have good torque, all the way up to max speed.
    I believe I was getting 400ipm with that screw and those electronics.

$200 is peanuts by the time you are a couple years into this hobby, so you can go for it and let us all know how it works?
    you may get reasonable performance for that price with the kit you mentioned, but it's not likely.
    The chinese stuff gets better all the time.

any mention of the inductance of those motors (rated in mH)

I know I sound cheap but that's still a bit out of my price range considering what I have already spent building it so far. If you had to choose from here, what would you go with? 3 Axis CNC Kits- StepperOnline

Oh and yes they do make mention of the inductance here High Torque Nema 23 CNC Stepper Motor 3.5A 3Nm(425oz.in) 23HS45-3504S|23HS45-3504S|Nema 23 Stepper Motors

This is Sharon from China, I work in advanced manufacturing and support start-ups to fortune 50 companies with their development needs.
    In our facility, we have high-precision machining centers, utilize a 3D printing (Stereolithography), Injection Molding, and several rapid prototyping processes, all in-house.If you need any supports of those services, pleases send a message at [email protected]