584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Gerber > Gerber Sabre Router table 408 - Z AXIS Error

Gerber Sabre Router table 408 - Z AXIS Error

While troubleshooting a different (but possibly related issue which is 'randomly, during manual movement / orienting / running a job, the Z Axis slams down into the table'), I had removed the bit / tool, and after orienting, I move the spindle to the left (towards the keyboard..) and then with the boot fully lowered, moved the z down until it reaches the table. Once it makes contact, Z moves back up a tiny bit and throws error "Z AXIS".

I have two identical tables and the other one does not freak out once it reaches the table surface. Unfortunately I do not have a 3rd table to verify that either behavior is normal and the manual does not list this error occurring in this manner. I would assume the z axis should be fine with making contact with the table while manually moving it using the keyboard.

Also, when my error occurs, the AMP LED becomes lit on the top board of the Electrical Cabinet.

Can anyone help me with this?

Re: Gerber Sabre Router table 408 - Z AXIS Error

Hey Cyprus, had a similar problem with my sabre 404. The dealer wanted to sell me a whole new z-motor assembly but it turned out to be a shot collar clamp on the z. If you take off the purple cover for the z-axis guts (behind the spindle) you can see if one or both of your collar clamps is slipping. You might be able to tighten the set screw if it's just become loose or if it's shot it's a $20 part. I have a huge spindle motor on my machine and I think it's more weight than it's meant to have, so this has happened twice in the last three years. I bought 6 collar clamps and keep them around so whenever it happens it's a five minute fix.

Hope this helps!