585,727 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Chatter only in X axis on Pcnc 1100

Chatter only in X axis on Pcnc 1100

Hey guys i need some ideas here. I got my tormach in September Ive been having allot of chatter issues with the machine but only in the x-axis. The machine has a brand new spindle as of last week (crack developed in the original spindle and Tormach quickly replaced it). I ive noticed the issue mostly when milling square profiles with the waterline roughing opp in sprut cam. I am using a 1/2 3 flute carbide cutter .625 flute lengh (1/2 depth of cut and .125 stopover about 25 ipm).
    The cutter does not make a peep in the Y axis and it rounds the corner to the x axis side and it starts squealing then turns back to the y axis and the chatter stops again.
    I talked to Tormach and they suggested I adjust the X axis gib so my indicator matched up with read out (ended up loosening the gib 2 turns temporarily fixed the problem has about .0005 back lash when changing directions) I also checked the Y axis that seemed fine.
    My hunch is that one of the trust bearings on my stepper motor is loose or there is something loose on the head. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose this issue.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Chatter only in X axis on Pcnc 1100

Post a pic or video to help us understand what you're seeing (wall or face finish ?). I tightened every possible screw on my machine years back and my problems went away.

I would rule out the simple stuff first. Are your parts not supported as well in the x direction? If so, you will get more chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by tmallard450 View Post
    Hey guys i need some ideas here. I got my tormach in September Ive been having allot of chatter issues with the machine but only in the x-axis. The machine has a brand new spindle as of last week (crack developed in the original spindle and Tormach quickly replaced it). I ive noticed the issue mostly when milling square profiles with the waterline roughing opp in sprut cam. I am using a 1/2 3 flute carbide cutter .625 flute lengh (1/2 depth of cut and .125 stopover about 25 ipm).
    The cutter does not make a peep in the Y axis and it rounds the corner to the x axis side and it starts squealing then turns back to the y axis and the chatter stops again.
    I talked to Tormach and they suggested I adjust the X axis gib so my indicator matched up with read out (ended up loosening the gib 2 turns temporarily fixed the problem has about .0005 back lash when changing directions) I also checked the Y axis that seemed fine.
    My hunch is that one of the trust bearings on my stepper motor is loose or there is something loose on the head. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose this issue.?

So i went with my hunch this morning that the chatter was comming from the z axis. Sure enough when i put my dial indicator in the spindle incould flex the whole head around quite a bit .008 to .015". Somei tightened up the z axis gib now the flex os only about a .001 or two and that with me pulling on it like a money.
    I also determined that the 3 flute cutter sucked up too much Torque and the vfd was not recovering. Switched to a hss cuter and the same cut worked like a charm. I seem to have issues with any cut over .75 hP that g wizard spits out. Have any of you had similar experiences.

1/2" 3 flute high helix cutters and my milling machine don't mix either. If the RPM's don't take a hit I have to worry about pull out. Finishing with them is ok.

Variable helix is great, but >42 degrees and bad things happen on my series II. That's with a tightening fixture and a breaker bar draw bar tightening. It could be that there is a funky length thing going on creating a harmonic, but seeing as I rarely machine any aluminum anymore I just leave the high helix in the drawer.