584,862 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > new guy, need help understanding tool nose compensation

new guy, need help understanding tool nose compensation

Hey everyone

I need some help on tool nose compensation. I understand the need for this when doing angles and a radius. If I just put my tool and offset number in the tool change (T101) and put my radius and tool position in the tool tip geometry, will this compensate for the radius? Or do I have to use G41 or G42 with this?

Also, concerning tool position, if I look at the chart right, I would use position 2 for a tool on a TL1, left handed tool. Would this be the same for a lathe with a turret for the tool holder? Tool is now upside down and on the side opposite from the operator.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-001

Re: new guy, need help understanding tool nose compensation

To answer your last question first: Treat the TL machines the same as you would a regular CNC lathe with the tool on the side opposite from the operator. Somewhere in the Toolroom Lathe addendum to the Lathe Manual this is mentioned. Actually if you look at the Graphics display on the TL you will see it is the same as a regular CNC lathe.

You do use G41/G42 to activate tool compensation and you need to have the correct approach distance and initiate compensation on a straight (G01) move.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.