585,737 active members*
4,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > 8 Jaw bezel chuck-Your advice to clamp and unclamp it

8 Jaw bezel chuck-Your advice to clamp and unclamp it

Hi ya'll,

Recently acquired 3 bezel chucks. Wasn't sure what exactly they were even for at first, now realize they can be very hand to work on small narrow parts. I took the jaws off for some deep cleaning, and reassembled. I mounted to my lathe, but am having a VERY hard time opening and closing the jaws. Attachment 275266Attachment 275268

I have the jaws only hand tightened on (to minimize friction on the face of the chuck in opening/closing). I dont have a proper spanner to match the perimeter holes on the knurled portion, which is where I am sure you tighten the chuck.

It takes hard hits with a hammer and punch at an angle on those spanner holes, and the chuck still barely opens or closes. The knurled portion makes me think it should be able to be rotated by hand! What am I doing wrong? I have tried on all 3 chucks with almost identical results. I must be missing something. Thanks,

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by travkroberts View Post
    Hi ya'll,

Recently acquired 3 bezel chucks. Wasn't sure what exactly they were even for at first, now realize they can be very hand to work on small narrow parts. I took the jaws off for some deep cleaning, and reassembled. I mounted to my lathe, but am having a VERY hard time opening and closing the jaws. Attachment 275266Attachment 275268

I have the jaws only hand tightened on (to minimize friction on the face of the chuck in opening/closing). I dont have a proper spanner to match the perimeter holes on the knurled portion, which is where I am sure you tighten the chuck.

It takes hard hits with a hammer and punch at an angle on those spanner holes, and the chuck still barely opens or closes. The knurled portion makes me think it should be able to be rotated by hand! What am I doing wrong? I have tried on all 3 chucks with almost identical results. I must be missing something. Thanks,

Travis
    Hello Travis,

I can see it's been a while since you posted this, so I apologize if my reply seems inappropriate.
    I am faced with a very similar issue with a 8 jaw bezel chuck that I found laying around at a makerspace and tried to revive it, it is in pretty bad condition.

I have managed to take the jaws off but was completely unable to remove the arbor or at least open it up somehow to gain access to the internals for proper cleanup/lubrication, so a superficial treatment was all i could do.
    Before I took the jaws off I could move it by hand, just barely, but after I put the jaws back it seems to have locked in place and I can get no movement from it.

I am curious if in the meantime you solved the problem and if yes, I would dare to ask you how you managed it.

Thank you very much
    Teodor.

Re: 8 Jaw bezel chuck-Your advice to clamp and unclamp it

Teodor,

I haven't been able to make these work yet. A friend has them at his shop. If you could move by hand before, it sounds like something is interfering now. My friend's coworker agreed they should turn with by the large outer OD with the knurling/spanner holes. Years of muck were hopefully clogging them, and a deep degrease bath should fix that. I'll check tomorrow if he has made any progress.

Travis