584,871 active members*
5,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAM drilling rapid below clearance plane V27.
Page 1 of 2 12

BobCAM drilling rapid below clearance plane V27.

So I was working on a file this weekend and caught something in operation I didn't pay attention for in simulation. I had to drill a bolt circle down inside a deep bore in my part. The code generated seems to have generated rapid moves between the 6 holes that occurred at what appears to be the feed switch height of 0.100" above the start height. The result was that the tool was zipping from hole to hole while -1.2" below the material top. In the operation, the +2" clearance height is clearly indicated which I thought was mandatory for all lateral moves at rapid speed?
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Re: BobCAM drilling rapid below clearance plane V27.

got a file ?

Not instantly handy but I'll get it posted up as soon as I can.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

OK,I will check back.No need to give a long winded answer and it is actually something else.Problem files solve that.

Don't have V27 so I have to guess. Check the "Rapid Plane" input box. Is it set at the default 0.2000"?

My understanding of Rapid Plane is that is the height that it rapids Z *down* to from Clearance Plane before it switches to the cutting feedrate. In all my other operations it behaves as expected. Before a rapid lateral move it retracts to the clearance plane.

In drilling cycles you have to create a separate feature for each hole,,then it will behave correctly.
    If you happen to have a pattern of holes you can use a Tool Path Pattern and that will work correctly.
    I am suprised they have not fixed that yet.

Yeah that's kind of a big deal to violate the clearance plane. Sigh. I'll have to keep that in mind. Slinging a drill around sideways at rapid speed is not a fantastic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Yeah that's kind of a big deal to violate the clearance plane. Sigh. I'll have to keep that in mind. Slinging a drill around sideways at rapid speed is not a fantastic idea.

Same with any tool and holder,,,,that's why you need to really pay attention to simulation.One step better is to have Preditor Editor with Backplotting.That will simulate the actual G-Code.

My understanding of Rapid Plane is that is the height that it rapids Z *down* to from Clearance Plane before it switches to the cutting feedrate. In all my other operations it behaves as expected. Before a rapid lateral move it retracts to the clearance plane.
    Again, can't look at your file but this statement is incorrect. The Feed plane is the Z "rapid to" point where it switches to cutting feedrate - incrementally measured from the "Top of Feature"

The Rapid plane is the "Retract" point as it is the last Z position before the drilling cycle. If the pocket your hole is in is 3.000" deep and your rapid plane is set to 0.2000, the tool will retract to -2.800" then rapid to the next hole.

Using the 3" deep pocket example your Rapid plane will need to be a minimum of 3.100" just to clear the top of the part. Rapid plane has no relation to the Clearance Plane as far as I know. It is always in relation to "Top of Feature". If I am mistaken or misunderstanding your problem please let me know.

The clearance height is only used between features.

Guys,if doing more than 1 hole with the same feature,,,it don't work right.
    If you create a feature for each hole OR do a tool path pattern,it will work correctly.
    Please show me wrong here.

I've learned to just work around it by creating multiple drilling features to work around my clamps, and setting my rapid/feed planes to the same height above the hole.

I did look into what my mill is looking for when running a drill cycle. And when using international standard NC, you have your hole depth, retract height, and peck depth. It will not look for any other heights to move between holes.

By doing more than one feature you are forcing the tool to clearance plane.
    Otherwise unless using a tool path pattern,there is no way to have the tool rapid in 2 inches,do its business,,retract and rapid in 2 inches and do it again.
    You can adjust it so 1 feature does 4 holes,,BUT you will have to retract above part and feed unnecessarily 2 inches cutting air before you start cutting.

I can concede a possible BobCAM-ism issue or terminology error but this is not how any of my other CAM systems handle things. On all of them the drilling is completed, and the tool moved to clearance plane before moving laterally to the next hole, plunging to the Rapid Height/Feed Switch height and drilling that hole. Needing to create a new feature for each hole, and setting it's parameters is not fantastic. Setting rapid height to several inches to clear clamps is going to add quite a few minutes of watching a tool drop painfully slowly towards the material. In my other CAM experience the Rapid Hieght / Feed Switch / Fast Plunge is relative to the top of part and Z ONLY plunges to that height. Clearance is absolute and the tool is ALWAYS at this height if X/Y are moving at rapid speed.

I can work around it. I don't think that's how it should work though.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC8 View Post
    The clearance height is only used between features.
    This is how I understand it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Guys,if doing more than 1 hole with the same feature,,,it don't work right.
    If you create a feature for each hole OR do a tool path pattern,it will work correctly.
    Please show me wrong here.
    I didn't get to see the original file so I can't see what's going on. Can I see an example of this problem in V26? I've not noticed this behavior before. As long as I set the "Rapid" clearance plane higher than the depth of my pocket it always works like I expect it.

"Check the "Rapid Plane" input box. Is it set at the default 0.2000"?" Can anyone answer this question in regards to OP's file?

I can concede a possible BobCAM-ism issue or terminology error but this is not how any of my other CAM systems handle things. On all of them the drilling is completed, and the tool moved to clearance plane before moving laterally to the next hole, plunging to the Rapid Height/Feed Switch height and drilling that hole. Needing to create a new feature for each hole, and setting it's parameters is not fantastic. Setting rapid height to several inches to clear clamps is going to add quite a few minutes of watching a tool drop painfully slowly towards the material. In my other CAM experience the Rapid Hieght / Feed Switch / Fast Plunge is relative to the top of part and Z ONLY plunges to that height. Clearance is absolute and the tool is ALWAYS at this height if X/Y are moving at rapid speed.

I can work around it. I don't think that's how it should work though.
    I don't think there is a terminology issue. You are interchanging Rapid Plane and Feed plane but they are in fact two separate things.

Clearance Plane - Z rapid height between features (always active throughout the program - "global")
    Rapid Plane - Z rapid height WITHIN a feature (only active at feature level - "local")
    Feed Plane - Z "Feed Switch" height (only active at feature level - "local")

I'll wait for some further input to make sure I'm not missing something I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Only other thing I can think of, you are using a G98 correct?

BTW, I am interested in this question because I have the opposite problem. Simulation will show the drill dragging through a part when in reality it will "jump" to the Rapid height at the machine the way I expect it. I submitted this problem to tech long ago but haven't seen a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    BTW, I am interested in this question because I have the opposite problem. Simulation will show the drill dragging through a part when in reality it will "jump" to the Rapid height at the machine the way I expect it. I submitted this problem to tech long ago but haven't seen a resolution.

Well then that explains it
    I will re- phrase what I said earlier then,,the only way to make the drill "appear"simulate doing more than one hole at a time without messing up, is to create more than one feature or use a tool path pattern.This is of course meant for the situation above.Where the drill rapids inside a couple inches the drill,retracts rapids over,then in the next hole and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12