585,759 active members*
3,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser Engraved Text Looks Jagged

Hey guys,

So just this past week I have noticed the text that I engrave is not so sharp looking anymore, it has a jagged look to it.

I've cleaned the machine out and oiled it but still I get this problem. Up until a few days ago this problem did not occur though.

Any ideas what could be the problem causing this?

Re: Laser Engraved Text Looks Jagged

Loose lens?

I've checked the lens and everything looks alright, fits the same as it always did.

Just did another top to bottom clean and oil and yet the problem persists. I have noticed the "wonky-ness" of the text varies on each test I do so its not like it is happening the same way in the spot each time. I will post some pics if I can later to show you guys what I mean.

Can not see this pic clear.

I suggest you try this.
    1. check you rail, belt are those that smooth. clean rail and drop some oil.
    2. check and clean your 1 lens 3 mirrors, make it perfect.
    3. try to uninstall your laser software and reinstall it.
    4. go to your software "setting" or "Advanced Settings", then go to "engraving" setting. Somewhere you will find "Backlash" or some other statement like this. Change the values more or less, try engraving again.
    What is your software?

Wish your machine work fine soon.

Justin
    A nice guy!

I think I may have found the problem. My rail is beginning to look worn where the bearings have been rolling over it often, the paint has come off and when I run my finger over it there is a slight groove. I notice that when rolling the bearings back and forth slowly by hand that they do not roll so well over this part of the rail. I tested engraving some text on scrap material and different points on the rail and noticed that the far sides it performs fine, it is when the engraving passes the mid point where the worn area is that I get jagged lines and text.

So does this seem like the plausible root of the problem here? If so how difficult is it to replace this part of the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by II-DALTON-II View Post
    I think I may have found the problem. My rail is beginning to look worn where the bearings have been rolling over it often, the paint has come off and when I run my finger over it there is a slight groove. I notice that when rolling the bearings back and forth slowly by hand that they do not roll so well over this part of the rail. I tested engraving some text on scrap material and different points on the rail and noticed that the far sides it performs fine, it is when the engraving passes the mid point where the worn area is that I get jagged lines and text.

So does this seem like the plausible root of the problem here? If so how difficult is it to replace this part of the machine?
    It is not difficult to replace it. Make sure every screw holes tight and keep sliding block very smooth!! You can ask for a help from your supplier.
    A nice guy!